Topic Sponsor
2011+ Engine Related Questions Sub-Forum to the new engines that debuted in 2011.

Airaid intake install and sound tests

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2013, 04:49 PM

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

Default Airaid intake install and sound tests

After pouring through a ton of info on the AFE intake and some pretty negative information about the company, I decided to go with the Airaid intake.
Finished installing a few days ago, and here are my initial impressions:
-Installation was easily 15-20 minutes. A good 5 minutes could have been shaved off if Airaid delivered the product without the plug installed on the replacement tube (was a pain in the *** to pull that thing out). Other than that, very easy installation and instructions were very well put together.
-As you'll see in the below videos, the difference for in cabin sound is very minimal with normal driving and the windows up. With the window down, anything more than 30-40mph is going to have too much wind noise for you to really hear the intake.
-Performance wise, I didn't see any appreciable change in how the truck performed...but it's way to early for me to make a judgement on that. I had forgotten to bring the phone with me so I don't have a true representation of the 0-60mph numbers, but I envision that it would be tough to see any difference.
-In the 0-30mph range, you'll certainly notice some turbo noise and will depend on the engine load but it is not that loud at all. The weather stripping and stock style box keep most of the sound in the engine bay. For the second video, I put about 500lbs of weight in the back and did some low speed partial throttle stints while going up an incline to increase the engine load. For the audio, I put the microphone in the engine compartment to show how loud it is there compared to being in the cabin on the first vid.

Overall, I'm pleased with how easy the install was and will hopefully report back later after I get a couple weeks of seeing how it performs.

Old 06-16-2013, 08:14 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

good videos. sounds sick!
Old 06-16-2013, 10:21 PM

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Hey thanks for the videos, I just put an airaid on my wife's explorer sport and love the sound. I also ordered one for my harley edition which should be here any day. I had an AFE and it just made too much noise for my taste.

Last edited by reward69; 06-16-2013 at 10:24 PM.
Old 06-16-2013, 10:24 PM
F150Forum Sponsor - SCT Dealer! 614 620-5050

Received 1,084 Likes on 877 Posts

Sounds about right. I did before and after dyno testing with the airaid intake I put on my 12 and saw 6 rwhp and 11 torque. But mostly did it for the increased turbo sound cause I'm a sucker for that. Lol
Old 06-18-2013, 12:54 AM

Right on, thanks for the compliments. I've got a couple different camera and audio options (one with a DTS capture), so if anyone is interested in what this thing would sound like from a certain perspective...just hit me up
Old 06-18-2013, 01:18 AM

Received 99 Likes on 74 Posts

Definitely makes the turbos more audible on your truck, sounds like mine with just the stock airbox and AEM dryflow
Old 06-18-2013, 08:37 AM

did you remove the "twirly things" in your intake tubes as well or is that the sound with them in. I bet it would only sound better with them out!
The following users liked this post:
Justus (06-20-2013)
Old 06-18-2013, 10:17 AM

Received 55 Likes on 32 Posts

could def tell a difference in noise with the stock intake when i removed my twirly bits.
Old 06-20-2013, 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by BenJAMO
did you remove the "twirly things" in your intake tubes as well or is that the sound with them in. I bet it would only sound better with them out!
Interesting, did some reading on this (for those that hadn't seen it, ->https://www.f150forum.com/f70/ecoboo...-pipes-124876/). I actually hadn't heard of this yet...but I'm still learning about this engine .
I went ahead and made a second video with those inserts removed. Mic was mounted in the same spot for the engine bay. In the latter half, I brought the mic into the cabin. First part was with the windows up and the second part was with the driver's window halfway down. I left the master bus on the audio track at the same input level to kind of show the variance in how quiet it is compared to the engine bay. You'll really have to turn your speakers up to hear anything in the second half.
Seems like it is a little louder, but can mainly tell a difference when letting off the throttle.

Enjoy!
The following users liked this post:
BenJAMO (06-21-2013)
Old 06-21-2013, 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by Justus
Interesting, did some reading on this (for those that hadn't seen it, ->https://www.f150forum.com/f70/ecoboo...-pipes-124876/). I actually hadn't heard of this yet...but I'm still learning about this engine .
I went ahead and made a second video with those inserts removed. Mic was mounted in the same spot for the engine bay. In the latter half, I brought the mic into the cabin. First part was with the windows up and the second part was with the driver's window halfway down. I left the master bus on the audio track at the same input level to kind of show the variance in how quiet it is compared to the engine bay. You'll really have to turn your speakers up to hear anything in the second half.
Seems like it is a little louder, but can mainly tell a difference when letting off the throttle.

Enjoy!
F150 Ecoboost Airaid intake sound test part II - YouTube

next do the blow off to atmosphere mod and it will sound nice and pretty!! just do the passenger side turbo. leave the driver side hooked up to the intake tubing.... i think it sounds better with only 1 turbo blowing off, both is alittle much.

Quick Reply: Airaid intake install and sound tests