Topic Sponsor
2011+ Engine Related Questions Sub-Forum to the new engines that debuted in 2011.

6.2L Dead again....please help!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2015, 09:51 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Exclamation 6.2L Dead again....please help!!

So my brother's Limited is dead again. Has had BCM issues in the past, was warrantied by Ford. Now the truck dies without codes. Last time it crapped out it wouldn't re-start.

History:
I'm less aware of what happened on the BCM issues, other than bro fought with Ford for a month over the repair.

This time the truck intermittently would run rough, then die like the fuel pump was giving up. The engine wouldn't throw any codes. Brother would dump the KAM and truck would fire up and run for days. Then I scanned it, no history codes, no active ones. It ran fine for a couple of weeks, then died last week. Before, I could actuate the fuel pump on and off without an issue so I didn't think the pump was the issue. Found threads indicating a bad fuel pump relay could be the issue, and told him to look there. He changed the relay, cleaned the ground that was near it but still won't start. I crawled under it with the pump commanded on today and beat on the tank, wiggled wiring, but the pump won't run. The BCM is now saying P0230, which is a fuel pump issue.

I am curious if the pump issues could be stemming from a bad crank sensor?? The TSB's that I read were stating that if the ECM doesn't sense crank pulse for 2 seconds it'll kill the coil on the pump relay. I would have thought that the autoenginuity fuel pump relay command would override that? Am I correct?

Really starting to lean towards a pump. Figure it has close to 130,000kms probably due for a filter change anyway so might as well toss a pump in too?

Really hoping someone has some ideas. Don't want to just throw parts at it until it is fixed but the problem is we're an hour away from the closest stealers, and they have banker's hours for the parts counter. Going to try and bring it home tomorrow and at least drop the tank and see if the pump is getting power.

IS there a schraeder somewhere on the 6.2 that I can hook a fuel psi gauge to? Couldn't see one.

Thanks for your ideas and let em fly, I'll try anything at this point.
Old 07-28-2015, 07:55 AM

Received 98 Likes on 79 Posts

I can't help you but I will share a story. When I bought my F150 I noticed an intermittent backup camera (like within the first week). The dealership replaced the camera but that didn't fix the problem (since it was intermittent it took another couple of weeks for me to know that didn't fix it).

The mechanic at the dealer was really good and disconnected every wire harness looking at the sea of pins. One by one he went until he found one connector having one bent pin. He straightened the pin and put the connected back together.

The trucks has been great without gremlins for about 4 years now and 40k miles. I tell this story because it sticks in my mind whenever I hear about an F150 with weird electrical gremlins. Sometimes it's not the part but the wiring.
Old 07-28-2015, 08:08 AM

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

Good point. My dealer told me a similar story about the new explorer that came out. They sold their first one and the customer said whenever it got hot and they turned on the air it would just randomly quit. they tried and tried to fix it and had a engineer on his way down to try and find it. The tech found it as the engineer got there. It was a connection on a wire harness under the rear seat that was allowing the pins to become unattached. They told me they were making a change on that and I think the tech fixed it where it could not come apart and they put that info in the oasis data base for future reference or a tsb.
Old 07-28-2015, 11:46 AM

I will check the connections when the truck gets here. Going to drop tank, pull pump regardless and ensure there is power coming that far.
Old 07-28-2015, 01:02 PM

Received 81 Likes on 70 Posts

It might help to try and data log the issue.
Old 07-31-2015, 10:50 AM

SOLVED!!!

Never seen this before. Fuse was the issue.

Forgot to take a picture, but the fuse to the fuel pump was burnt. Now, I know you are all going; "Really, this idiot didn't even check the fricken fuse?!?" I did, but with a meter and test light. I pinned for voltage atop the two accessible holes on the fuse as I always do. The fuse didn't burn where it was supposed to. Instead it burnt off a connecting pin, but was still allowing some contact. So when I checked for power across the fuse-all good. But no power was going to the relay any longer. A wiggle on the fuse and intermittent power to the relay, so I pulled the fuse (#27 in the engine bay fuse panel) which crumbled in my fingers!

Changed the fuse and all better. Brother says truck feels like it has all of it's old power back again. Not sure if the fuse caused it all, or the Fuel Pump Control Relay on the frame burnt the fuse?!? Either way, I suggest that one pull fuses and play swap-tronic's if you're having an issue like this, as I can attest that Ford make's a unique fuse...
Old 07-31-2015, 01:05 PM
Boost Junkie

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts

Default 6.2L Dead again....please help!!

Good hear that it was something simple. Thanks for the update.
Old 08-07-2015, 01:41 PM

WOW. So I just pulled this from my father's 2010 Platinum 5.4L:

Fuel Pump Fuse. This is obviously the start of what happened with my brother's truck. Alarming that the fuse can get hot enough to turn the plastic black, but not burn out the fuse?!? Started looking into this because the truck did the same no-start as my brother's.

Changing the FPDM (Fuel pump driver module) on monday when the parts get in. Wonder if there is a TSB from ford on this? Both of these trucks see a tremendous amount of off road/off highway use, and this may be contributing to the demise of the FPDM, but the fuse shouldn't burn in the wrong spot, allowing some flow of current.
The following users liked this post:
canddmeyer (08-07-2015)
Old 08-07-2015, 03:10 PM
Wondering Around

Received 212 Likes on 156 Posts

I better go out and check mine
Old 08-07-2015, 05:13 PM
Opinionated Blowhard

Received 165 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by eli.krahulec
WOW. So I just pulled this from my father's 2010 Platinum 5.4L: Fuel Pump Fuse. This is obviously the start of what happened with my brother's truck. Alarming that the fuse can get hot enough to turn the plastic black, but not burn out the fuse?!? Started looking into this because the truck did the same no-start as my brother's. Changing the FPDM (Fuel pump driver module) on monday when the parts get in. Wonder if there is a TSB from ford on this? Both of these trucks see a tremendous amount of off road/off highway use, and this may be contributing to the demise of the FPDM, but the fuse shouldn't burn in the wrong spot, allowing some flow of current.
Man, that's just wrong in so many ways. Chinese fuse? Cheaper fuse material? Whatever it is, it's dangerous as hell.

Quick Reply: 6.2L Dead again....please help!!