Topic Sponsor
2011+ Engine Related Questions Sub-Forum to the new engines that debuted in 2011.

3.7L dying out during left turn

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2012, 02:21 PM
Five-0 Ret.

Received 674 Likes on 578 Posts

Default 3.7L dying out during left turn

This started sometime back, but only on start up. When leaving the garage I have to make a slight left turn into the driveway. On rare occasions the engine dies away, but doesn't completely stall. Hasn't done it in quite awhile, so I though it was just a little glitch cured with more break-in time. Nope, it did it today while turning left from a side road into the main roadway. You know if I take it to the dealer, it ain't gonna do the dirty deed. I was just wondering if anyone else has experienced this, and if a cure in known. Thanks in advance for your help.

BTW, the engine now has 8900 miles on the odo.
Old 03-09-2012, 02:37 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Could you explain a little more as to what you are experiencing? My 3.7L feels strong all the time
Old 03-09-2012, 04:01 PM

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

I have never heard of one doing that before, thats really strange.
I wonder why it only happens with left hand turns? Maybe there is something wrong with your EAPS and during random left turns it draws way more current then it should causing a drain on your battery / electrical system which could in turn cause your ignition system to stumble? This might cause the engine to feel like it wants to die out. You mentioned that the engine does not completely stall, does it run back up once you straighten your wheels? Thats just an idea that comes to my mind, might not be correct, but you never know.

I would definitely describe the issue to your dealer and see if they can do something to diagnose it. You don't want to be trying to merge into fast moving traffic and have you engine cut out on you.
Old 03-09-2012, 04:22 PM
Five-0 Ret.

Originally Posted by CDC5.0
I have never heard of one doing that before, thats really strange.
I wonder why it only happens with left hand turns? Maybe there is something wrong with your EAPS and during random left turns it draws way more current then it should causing a drain on your battery / electrical system which could in turn cause your ignition system to stumble? This might cause the engine to feel like it wants to die out. You mentioned that the engine does not completely stall, does it run back up once you straighten your wheels? Thats just an idea that comes to my mind, might not be correct, but you never know.

I would definitely describe the issue to your dealer and see if they can do something to diagnose it. You don't want to be trying to merge into fast moving traffic and have you engine cut out on you.
It will pick back up shortly after it falters. I will pay closer attention as to when it runs back up. If your familiar with the old Chevy quadrajet carbs which were notorious for crap like this, it feels like it bogs down then it comes back. It hard to accurately explain it any better. No lights come on, no CEL, anything. I'm in a quandry over this one. And only when I turn left doesn't make any sense either.

You are correct, I will tell the service dept. next week. Maybe, just maybe they can help. They have always tried.

Brother hillwood, our trucks do look alike. But, they ain't acting alike right now. We'll get it figured out.

Last edited by Wanted33; 03-09-2012 at 04:26 PM.
Old 03-10-2012, 11:48 AM
Five-0 Ret.

Wanted to bump this just once.
Old 03-12-2012, 02:39 PM

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

Keep us informed of your progress with this one, I'm pretty curious to know what the issue is.
Old 03-12-2012, 03:24 PM
Five-0 Ret.

Originally Posted by CDC5.0
Keep us informed of your progress with this one, I'm pretty curious to know what the issue is.
Will do Brother.
Old 03-20-2012, 01:20 PM
Five-0 Ret.

Default Update

Passed this along to the Service guys, of course they had no idea what would cause the problem. That's OK, I don't either. But, just for giggles I opened the fuse box for a look see. The majority of the larger fuses weren't seated, push them down and click they went in a little farther. Don't know if they have anything to do with it, but one can hope. I'll keep you updated if the problem is solved.
Old 03-20-2012, 01:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had an old Cherokee that did something similar, and it turned out to be a bad ground. I think your on the right track with your fuse box, but you may want to look at your grounds for good measure.
Old 03-20-2012, 01:49 PM
Five-0 Ret.

Originally Posted by watch3612
I had an old Cherokee that did something similar, and it turned out to be a bad ground. I think your on the right track with your fuse box, but you may want to look at your grounds for good measure.

Thanks watch. I'll get on it.

Quick Reply: 3.7L dying out during left turn