Topic Sponsor
2011+ Engine Related Questions Sub-Forum to the new engines that debuted in 2011.

3.7 mods longterm worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2013, 10:38 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 3.7 mods longterm worth it?

Howdy,

I'm just curious for those 3.7 owners that have had mods on for a while now or have really researched this. Have the mods been worth it for you? What has worked and what hasn't? I realize everyone's expectations are different.

Personally I am very conservative driver, frugal, looking for good gas mileage and well rounded performance towing periodically well within what the truck is rated for, good long term reliability and plan to drive it till it practically dies which should be a long time.

I'm just not into hot rodding or aggressive 4 wheeling anymore. Those days are long past. That desire for speed has been replaced by racing bicycles which are less expensive. lol Having a nice quiet truck is something I value also.

One other point is that I live in South Dakota so we get both extremes in that it gets very cold in winter and hot in the summer. Will that affect the effectiveness of some of those mods that are available?

Are these mods and tunes really worth it? Even for someone like me? Otherwise I'd rather just keep it stock and keep it simple unless there is some significant advantage to be gained.
Old 08-23-2013, 04:00 PM

Received 130 Likes on 104 Posts

Over on the F-150 online forum there is a guy that has done some mods tuned his truck is alot of reading but it will answer most of your questions. Steve
Old 09-02-2013, 10:31 PM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

any chance we could get a link to that stuff over on the f-150 online forums?
The following users liked this post:
hockeywng2 (09-02-2016)
Old 09-03-2013, 05:37 AM

Received 130 Likes on 104 Posts

http://www.f150online.com/forums/200...e-got-one.html here you go!
Old 09-03-2013, 08:07 AM

Received 98 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by VeloMello
Howdy,

Personally I am very conservative driver, frugal, looking for good gas mileage and well rounded performance towing periodically well within what the truck is rated for, good long term reliability and plan to drive it till it practically dies which should be a long time.
You've answered your own question. Mod(s) also hurt resale when the day comes.
Old 09-04-2013, 08:10 AM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Snowflake
Thanks
Old 09-04-2013, 10:30 AM

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

The best thing for your trucks long term reliability is in fact to leave it bone stock.
Having said that the three most basic / common upgrades are a CAI, cat back exhaust and tuners.
These will add some power without burning a huge hole in your wallet, also a good tuner with a fairly moderate setting won't reek too much havoc on things.
Keep in mind a CAI and exhaust will bring up the noise level a bit but they will make the tuner much more effective. Also you can return the truck to stock whenever you need to (like when you take it in for warranty work).

Quick Reply: 3.7 mods longterm worth it?