Topic Sponsor
2011+ Engine Related Questions Sub-Forum to the new engines that debuted in 2011.

3.5 Eco vs 5.0

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2012, 10:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3.5 Eco vs 5.0

Hey guys, thought I would start a new thread on this. Got to say both motors are awesome examples of modern day engineering.
I know the new 5.0 well as I traded in a 2011 Mustang GT to get the 2012 F150 Ecoboost.
Some say I must be crazy, but I had to do it as Everybody wanted to race the 5.0 Mustang as it was rated alittle bit stronger in the Satng then in the F150. Stang had 412 HP and 390 Tq and after an American Muscle tune, it was up even higher. Traction was a big problem.
But, I was old enough to know better, but when a new Camero, Hemi Charger, WRX, etc wanted to test the Stang, I showed them the Power of the Dark Side, Or Ford Mustang side.
Anyway, I needed to trade the stang and the Ecoboost got my attention. I really wanted to stay with the 5.0 as i was really impressed with that motor in the Stang, but I had never had a Turbo charge anything before, so I when Highest Tech, I guess.
Boy I miss my Stang. Maybe a Boss next, LOL
Old 05-10-2012, 11:23 PM

Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by stanger1
Hey guys, thought I would start a new thread on this.
Why it has already been beaten to death?
Old 05-10-2012, 11:32 PM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Hey guys, thought I would start a new thread on this. Got to say both motors are awesome examples of modern day engineering.
I know the new 5.0 well as I traded in a 2011 Mustang GT to get the 2012 F150 Ecoboost.
Some say I must be crazy, but I had to do it as Everybody wanted to race the 5.0 Mustang as it was rated alittle bit stronger in the Satng then in the F150. Stang had 412 HP and 390 Tq and after an American Muscle tune, it was up even higher. Traction was a big problem.
But, I was old enough to know better, but when a new Camero, Hemi Charger, WRX, etc wanted to test the Stang, I showed them the Power of the Dark Side, Or Ford Mustang side.
Anyway, I needed to trade the stang and the Ecoboost got my attention. I really wanted to stay with the 5.0 as i was really impressed with that motor in the Stang, but I had never had a Turbo charge anything before, so I when Highest Tech, I guess.
Welcome to the forum. Congrats on your purchase. BTW, don't mind the replies like the first one you got. Some people literally live (on here) to post about how a subject has been brought up a thousand times before. I saw that it was your very first post on the forum. Anyways, welcome to the best F-150 forum on the net.
Old 05-11-2012, 12:01 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Install the livernois tune and you'll be impressed with the power. Add the 4" heartthrob exhaust and get another 30 HP. Gotta love Turbo engines!
Old 05-11-2012, 12:11 AM
Evil. Big. Oil.

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

I love mine, and it's bone stock. Granted, my last F-150 was a 4.6l, so anything seems fast, lol. I just hope it's as reliable, I put 228k on my '05 before I traded it.
Old 05-11-2012, 06:02 AM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm with Daximus .... last truck was a 2-valve 4.6, so, either would have been an improvement. I went with the 5.0 mainly for the short wheelbase regular cab which you can't get in the 3.5 TT ecoboost. IMO, the shorter wheelbase 4x4 is more suited for offroad 4-wheeling ... doesn't bottom out as easily. Plus, you can wind the motors past 8000 rpm without damaging the internals.

I'm an old-school guy who loves the grunt of a V8. If you like turbos, then, the ecoboost is fine, too. Most folks here will tell you to just drive both and see which one you like. It's the only way to really know which motor is best for you. While you're at it, why not test drive the 6.2, as well? And the V6 3.7 is only a second slower than the other motors, as well. May as well try that one out, too.

Last edited by jeb99ta; 05-11-2012 at 06:05 AM.
Old 05-11-2012, 09:59 AM
AAG

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

The f-150 is down on power, but the boss 302 manifold and tune would've fixed that. There's no way I could personally own an ecoboost because I'd never be happy with the sound of the v6 engine. The 5.0 just sounds amazing stock & modified.

Congrats btw!
Old 05-11-2012, 02:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhaust Sound

Oh Man, That is one area that I really miss with my Ecoboost as with my 11 Mustang GT 5.0, I put the Rousch Exhaust on it and WOW.
I have never heard a Motor that sounds any better than that.
From what I have read, Ford dropped the compression on the 5.0 from what the Stang had. It is 11:1 and I think the F150 is 10.5:1.

Just an awesome motor the 5.0 is and I do miss the sound. I hardly ever had the radio on as I would always have the windows down, just to hear that sound.
Still going thur Mustang withdraw, but I do like my 3.5 Ecoboost.
Need to make the Turbos louder to make up for the quiet exhaust.
Old 05-11-2012, 03:37 PM

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by AAG
The f-150 is down on power, but the boss 302 manifold and tune would've fixed that. There's no way I could personally own an ecoboost because I'd never be happy with the sound of the v6 engine. The 5.0 just sounds amazing stock & modified.

Congrats btw!
I love my Ecoboost engine and think its great but I won't lie my brothers 5.0 F150 makes me pretty jealous whenever he stomps on it. I have accepted my truck will never have that V8 sound but beyond that the engine is great and I couldn't be happier . Hope you enjoy your truck!
Old 05-11-2012, 03:43 PM

Received 1,390 Likes on 664 Posts

There are already more than enough threads about this. Find one of the dozens already posted and argue in there. Sorry, Im closing this one.

Quick Reply: 3.5 Eco vs 5.0