Topic Sponsor
2011+ Engine Related Questions Sub-Forum to the new engines that debuted in 2011.

2018 F150 5.0 engine noise

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2018, 10:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2018 F150 5.0 engine noise

Purchased an 18 model F150 with 5.0 in November and after about 3000 miles started having this tick like a belt tensioner/old style lifter rocker arm tick type noise. It does start to shake/tremble a little when noise is present. Sorry for the poor description I just got out of an 04 F250 6.0 diesel with 300,000 miles. Took to dealership and idiot told me it was injectors firing. After having a discussion with his boss Ford engineers came down and said it was cam phasers. Does this sound correct? Now parts have been on order for over week and half. They seem to be on backorder. Backordered parts for a 2018 model?
Old 04-03-2018, 11:48 AM

Received 80 Likes on 69 Posts

What octane fuel are you using?

From what Ive read and experienced the "5.0 tick" is fairly common. My 2013 had about 13K miles when i purchased it and it had a very slight tick. Did some research on here and asked my buddy whose a Ford service advisor and it's a pretty common thing. Stopped worrying about it and I'm now at 68K miles and have never had an issue with my engine **Knock On Wood**
With that said, If the noise starts getting louder... much louder... you may have a problem.
Old 11-12-2018, 11:43 AM

Have there been any updates this engine noise, or the letting off throttle click clack noise? Mine also does a loud noise when cold starting in the morning after sitting. Sounds like a jack hammer hitting the exhaust pipe. I値l atttch a video link below. Thanks for any input!

Old 11-12-2018, 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by Lswagner
Have there been any updates this engine noise, or the letting off throttle click clack noise? Mine also does a loud noise when cold starting in the morning after sitting. Sounds like a jack hammer hitting the exhaust pipe. I値l atttch a video link below. Thanks for any input!

They replace some kind of cam tensioner that the engineer said was bad. Still made noise after they delivered back to me. then they said it was heads, then maybe a short block. I told them I was parking it in their biggest plate glass window they had. 6000 miles and already trying to go into motor a second time. They ended up buying it back got the ecoboost which so far has been great! At first they are denying any noise complaints which is bs. Almost every 5.0 has this motor noise to some extent. Good luck
Old 01-04-2019, 03:03 AM

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by bgblk1968
They replace some kind of cam tensioner that the engineer said was bad. Still made noise after they delivered back to me. then they said it was heads, then maybe a short block. I told them I was parking it in their biggest plate glass window they had. 6000 miles and already trying to go into motor a second time. They ended up buying it back got the ecoboost which so far has been great! At first they are denying any noise complaints which is bs. Almost every 5.0 has this motor noise to some extent. Good luck
I've got a 2018 F150 5.0 which now has about 3400 miles. Mine was produced September of 2018 and I bought it in October 2018. At about 2000 miles I started noticing the noise that is supposedly coming from the variable cam timing for which Ford already has a TSB. But when I brought it into the dealership I was mainly complaining about the loud noise when the engine was cold. Sounded like tapping maybe knocking. I started noticing it in the cold weather when the temperature was in the thirties overnight. The more days the truck sat between starts that louder the noise. First dealer didn't agree that there was anything wrong even though I played a video where it could be clearly heard and they also completely ignored the TSB and did not reprogram the PCM. At about this same time I was noticing a noise that sounded like tapping that could be heard inside the truck when the engine was idling. Nevertheless I took it to the dealer I bought it from about a week ago. I took it into them and described to them the same noise While they did not hear the cold start knocking noise, they did hear a noise which they ultimately diagnosed as needing cam phasers. The service advisor also informed me that the cam phasers have had to revisions. He could not tell me when the revisions were made. Given that my truck was produced in September 2018 and it is now January 2019, I can only assume my truck was assembled with parts which were already known to be problematic. Service advisor tells me it will be weeks before my parts arrived. In the meantime I have been told to continue driving the truck until the parts arrive. I'm also not excited about having my truck engine taken apart with just 3400 miles . Bgblk1968 what state are you in?
Old 01-07-2019, 09:42 PM

Originally Posted by saldogwood
I've got a 2018 F150 5.0 which now has about 3400 miles. Mine was produced September of 2018 and I bought it in October 2018. At about 2000 miles I started noticing the noise that is supposedly coming from the variable cam timing for which Ford already has a TSB. But when I brought it into the dealership I was mainly complaining about the loud noise when the engine was cold. Sounded like tapping maybe knocking. I started noticing it in the cold weather when the temperature was in the thirties overnight. The more days the truck sat between starts that louder the noise. First dealer didn't agree that there was anything wrong even though I played a video where it could be clearly heard and they also completely ignored the TSB and did not reprogram the PCM. At about this same time I was noticing a noise that sounded like tapping that could be heard inside the truck when the engine was idling. Nevertheless I took it to the dealer I bought it from about a week ago. I took it into them and described to them the same noise While they did not hear the cold start knocking noise, they did hear a noise which they ultimately diagnosed as needing cam phasers. The service advisor also informed me that the cam phasers have had to revisions. He could not tell me when the revisions were made. Given that my truck was produced in September 2018 and it is now January 2019, I can only assume my truck was assembled with parts which were already known to be problematic. Service advisor tells me it will be weeks before my parts arrived. In the meantime I have been told to continue driving the truck until the parts arrive. I'm also not excited about having my truck engine taken apart with just 3400 miles . Bgblk1968 what state are you in?
service advisor is blowing smoke....I have same issue with my 18 f150 and there have not been any revisions to the cam phasers! I know this due to I知 the parts manager at my ford dealership and I知 fixing to have to order the same part for my truck. They are on backorder right now tho. My truck was built in October 2018. I only have 1400 miles on mine. Also your dealership can emergency order your parts since your under warranty and escalate part order to help expedite shipment. If my truck is done this week I値l let you know if cam phasers fix it or if dealership buys my truck back!
Old 02-20-2019, 05:57 PM
5.0TheWorld

Originally Posted by mizuno95

service advisor is blowing smoke....I have same issue with my 18 f150 and there have not been any revisions to the cam phasers! I know this due to I知 the parts manager at my ford dealership and I知 fixing to have to order the same part for my truck. They are on backorder right now tho. My truck was built in October 2018. I only have 1400 miles on mine. Also your dealership can emergency order your parts since your under warranty and escalate part order to help expedite shipment. If my truck is done this week I値l let you know if cam phasers fix it or if dealership buys my truck back!
Did the cam phasers fix your issue?

Trending Topics

Old 02-20-2019, 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by Tom Murray

Did the cam phasers fix your issue?
Ford said to replace just the timing chain tensioner to fix issue...still don稚 know if it痴 fixed due to next day I had to put it back in shop due to oil leaks from repair. Once I have a chance to put some miles on it I値l give update
Old 02-21-2019, 11:51 AM

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by mizuno95

Do you know if the VCT solenoids have had any revisions? Im getting mine back today and the repair order states that the VCT solenoids were replaced.
Old 02-21-2019, 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by saldogwood
Do you know if the VCT solenoids have had any revisions? Im getting mine back today and the repair order states that the VCT solenoids were replaced.
They have had 1 revision...they tried a new vct on mine and it came back within 15 miles and was louder than before. That痴 why they went further into my motor.

Quick Reply: 2018 F150 5.0 engine noise