Topic Sponsor
2011+ Engine Related Questions Sub-Forum to the new engines that debuted in 2011.

2016 5.0 into a 2012 F150?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2020, 02:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2016 5.0 into a 2012 F150?

Hey Everyone,
I've tried searching extensively and I cannot seem to find much info on this so I figured I would sign up and see what I could learn. I have a dead 2012 F150 5.0 and am looking at purchasing a wrecker engine. In my area there is only one 2011-2013 5.0 available (high mileage) while there are a lot of 2016/17 5.0 with low mileage for a good price. My question is how hard would it be to make this swap? Would I need to get the computer(s) too? Dash? Other items to make this work, if at all? Anyone successfully make this swap before?

Thanks for any and all advice!
Old 03-28-2020, 11:41 AM

Received 2,527 Likes on 1,951 Posts

While not a direct answer, here's some reference .....

Gen'2 Coyote Technical Reference ««« -click-
*PDF document.

Old 03-28-2020, 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by gDMJoe
While not a direct answer, here's some reference .....

Gen'2 Coyote Technical Reference ««« -click-
*PDF document.

Thanks. It appears that some major components are interchangeable, which is promising. I didn’t notice anything about the computer, which will be the biggest unknown.
Old 03-30-2020, 12:53 AM

Received 727 Likes on 497 Posts

The camshafts, phasers, and timing components have to be swapped over as a Gen1 computer will not be able to control the Gen2 cams and phasers, the intake manifold should also be swapped as a Gen1 computer can't control the CMCV, alternatively you can lock them out in the open position. In the end it may make more sense to pay for shipping on a engine that isn't local but is a direct swap; try calling LKQ, they ship engines all over the country and I've yet to get a bad one.

You could also trying swapping a Gen2 engine in and using a Gen2 PCM and engine harness, but plan for at least an extra month of downtime as you work through the issues that arise and find someone to help you program a PCM to a truck it shouldn't be in while getting the PATS to work. It's certainly doable with enough effort and knowledge but it won't be the quickest or cheapest option.
Old 03-30-2020, 02:25 AM

Originally Posted by SALEEN961
The camshafts, phasers, and timing components have to be swapped over as a Gen1 computer will not be able to control the Gen2 cams and phasers, the intake manifold should also be swapped as a Gen1 computer can't control the CMCV, alternatively you can lock them out in the open position. In the end it may make more sense to pay for shipping on a engine that isn't local but is a direct swap; try calling LKQ, they ship engines all over the country and I've yet to get a bad one.

You could also trying swapping a Gen2 engine in and using a Gen2 PCM and engine harness, but plan for at least an extra month of downtime as you work through the issues that arise and find someone to help you program a PCM to a truck it shouldn't be in while getting the PATS to work. It's certainly doable with enough effort and knowledge but it won't be the quickest or cheapest option.
Any idea on who could do the programming for me? Or modules/tools that would allow me to do it myself? Also, any idea on dash compatibility?

Time is the one thing I seem to have a lot of these days!
Old 03-30-2020, 03:17 PM
FORD lifer

Received 247 Likes on 186 Posts

My first instinct would be to buy the 2016, take it down to the long block, and put it back with the necessary 2011 parts, such as the cam phasers.

How about it Ford Techs? Possible?

Quick Reply: 2016 5.0 into a 2012 F150?