Topic Sponsor
2011+ Engine Related Questions Sub-Forum to the new engines that debuted in 2011.

2014 F150-Low Fuel Rail Pressure

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2017, 11:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2014 F150-Low Fuel Rail Pressure

I have a 2014 F150 Ecoboost. On occasion after cranking the engine it will run fine for 10-15 seconds then it will choke out from a lack of fuel. I get a P0087-Low Fuel Rail Pressure code. It seems to do this most often on a warm engine(it hardly ever dies the first time I start it cold). Sometimes shutting the key off and restarting the truck remedies the problem, but sometimes it will not restart from a lack of fuel. I have had to let the engine go cold again before I was able to restart it. This warm/cold engine thing may not have anything to do with the issue.

I've have taken my truck to the local Ford dealer for them to diagnose the problem but they said they were unable to reenact any of the issues that its been having. I got the feeling that they gave a very low effort looking into the problem. They did offer to replace my fuel rail pressure sensor for $800 but did say it might not fix the issue. If I had some confidence that would fix the problem I would do it but I can't afford $800 experiments.

After some research I would say the problem is either the fuel pump in the tank, the HPFP, the fuel pressure sensor or fuel control module. Has anyone had similar issues with their truck? I could really use some suggestions.
Old 03-07-2017, 12:16 AM

Received 487 Likes on 341 Posts

If they replace the sensor, why wouldn't it be covered under warranty? Are they not covering it because they can't reproduce?

If you know how to reproduce it, video tape it or try to recreate with a tech on the lot.

I haven't seen much of this issue, but from what I did see it seemed to be the sensor or the HPFP.

Good luck and if it's an option, try another dealer.
Old 12-10-2018, 06:25 PM

Any chance you got this solved? I am dealing with the exact same issue.
Old 12-13-2018, 09:52 PM

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts

I had the code P0087 and my HPFP was replaced under warranty. My mileage was around 20,000 when I had the problem. I am now at 60,000 with now issue since.
Old 12-13-2018, 10:30 PM

Awesome thank you! I just did the low pressure pump and seemed good yesterday when I was doing what would normally make it act up. If it statts again I will be looking at the hpfp. Thanks again!
Old 02-20-2019, 03:58 PM

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Yep, seems like a fairly common thing with the EB. I just replaced my hpfp for the same reason a week ago. Hasn't stalled yet since, crossing my fingers. Simple fix from the top. 2 bolts, that goofy hose connector (hint- press the blue clip halfway through the other side and it pops off) and a wiggle.