Topic Sponsor
2011+ Engine Related Questions Sub-Forum to the new engines that debuted in 2011.

2014 Ecoboost SCT tune for a brand new truck

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2014, 10:23 AM

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Default 2014 Ecoboost SCT tune for a brand new truck

Guys, I live at elevation, but I have an option to buy a SCT tuner at a stellar deal.

I wouldn't mind more torque and better performance improvements, but my question is this:

at elevation does the turbo already work harder?

Is the K03 turbos and the engine more than capable to handle all the SCT tunes long term?

Warranty wise, whats the "chances"? I'll run into issue... assuming that the computer will be told it's been "accessed" is this any different than running any ODB2 reader on it?

this is a brand new truck, and I've already removed the intake spacers & added a AFE exhaust.

I'm thinking CAI next, but with this tune should get me pretty optimum, but I still want to be able to drive this truck for 200,000 miles...
Old 07-08-2014, 11:53 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Warranty wise, I read on this forum that simply flashing back to stock and disconnecting the battery overnight would flush the computer of any trace of tampering. I'd definitely want someone else to confirm that, however.
Old 07-08-2014, 12:05 PM

Received 90 Likes on 68 Posts

Dealer may not detect it for normal maintenance, updates, typical warranty work, but if you blow an engine or tranny, Ford can still tell if they look hard enough and they most likely would for these types of catastrophic issues. You may want to check out Stage 3 Motorsports/5* Tuning. They offer two different warranties with their custom tune package. 5/60K is $500. 6/100K is $1,000. I just bought the X4 from them and custom tunes and 6/100K warranty. Happy modding!
The following 2 users liked this post by phantomblackgto:
SkiSmuggs (07-08-2014), vozaday (07-08-2014)
Old 07-08-2014, 01:34 PM
Senior Member/Vietnam Vet

Received 539 Likes on 369 Posts

Originally Posted by r3cc0s
Guys, I live at elevation, but I have an option to buy a SCT tuner at a stellar deal.

I wouldn't mind more torque and better performance improvements, but my question is this:

at elevation does the turbo already work harder?

Is the K03 turbos and the engine more than capable to handle all the SCT tunes long term?

Warranty wise, whats the "chances"? I'll run into issue... assuming that the computer will be told it's been "accessed" is this any different than running any ODB2 reader on it? And a good tune will get you more out of your truck than thousands spent on other modifications. Check the 1/4 times for the Ecoboost at the top of this section and you will see that some of the fastest trucks were tune only.

this is a brand new truck, and I've already removed the intake spacers & added a AFE exhaust.

I'm thinking CAI next, but with this tune should get me pretty optimum, but I still want to be able to drive this truck for 200,000 miles...
Explain the spacer thing. This is the first mention I've seen of it. As for CAI, almost no one has seen an improvement over stock.
I am of the club that thinks that, assuming you don't flog your truck, a truck that is going to blow because of a decent tune was going to blow anyway. A good tune will do more for your truck than thousands spent on other mods. See the Ecoboost 1/4 mile times at the top of this section and note that some of the fastest times were tune only.

Last edited by SkiSmuggs; 07-08-2014 at 01:37 PM.
Old 07-09-2014, 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by SkiSmuggs
Explain the spacer thing. This is the first mention I've seen of it. As for CAI, almost no one has seen an improvement over stock.
I am of the club that thinks that, assuming you don't flog your truck, a truck that is going to blow because of a decent tune was going to blow anyway. A good tune will do more for your truck than thousands spent on other mods. See the Ecoboost 1/4 mile times at the top of this section and note that some of the fastest times were tune only.
I meant the intake silencer...

and I agree with your points... that being said, I will be towing a 9000lbs trailer from time to time, into the mountains on hot days and I don't want to run into a situation where going beyond stock boost would cause issues...

Is the "tow" tune going to ensure that the engine is protected?
Old 07-09-2014, 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by phantomblackgto
Dealer may not detect it for normal maintenance, updates, typical warranty work, but if you blow an engine or tranny, Ford can still tell if they look hard enough and they most likely would for these types of catastrophic issues. You may want to check out Stage 3 Motorsports/5* Tuning. They offer two different warranties with their custom tune package. 5/60K is $500. 6/100K is $1,000. I just bought the X4 from them and custom tunes and 6/100K warranty. Happy modding!
you are right, as long as nothing is broken, why would they scan for this?

that being said, would accessing the computer be any different than clearing a CEL?

I mean I could say I was out in some small town somewhere, and the code popped up and I went to an auto store to check it out... being nothing they cleared the code....
Old 07-09-2014, 12:46 PM
none.

Received 98 Likes on 78 Posts

My last truck (07 lariat) had identical mods as my current turbo mulch hauler....whenever it went in for oil changes, I would always tell them to not worry about the air filter and if there are any TSBs for PCM reflashes...."it's not necessary". A lot of the trucks around town read that as all of South Florida have basic mods even as brand new. Thus, the service writers don't seem to have an issue so long as you don't roll in with a full race intercooler and a complicated itake....like running the AFE and he charge pipe.

Since our trucks are pretty new and a lot of stuff is warranty coverage that we are worried about, it's more beneficial to establish a good relationship with a particular service writer and/or tech at the dealership Quick Lane counter. Do small things like positive comments on their google+ page if they have one...."like" them on the bookface. Positive PR by way of thier social media platforms helps, as goofy as it sounds.

Last edited by obusnizzle; 07-09-2014 at 12:47 PM. Reason: Steve jobs doesn't like my typing

Trending Topics

Old 07-09-2014, 10:34 PM

Received 325 Likes on 223 Posts

Is the "tow" tune going to ensure that the engine is protected?
That depends on the tune, your truck and the gas that you are running - amongst other things.

The current SSI Tow tune that has been reviewed/tested and posted here by JohnDeereFarmer showed cooler cat temps, lower KR, better AFR & MPG than stock.

Either way, with a load that heavy in hot temps, do you have an aftermarket CAC?

BTW - Ski tows a rather large 5th wheel at elevation.... so he's a pretty good reference point for you.
Old 07-09-2014, 10:47 PM
Senior Member/Vietnam Vet

Received 539 Likes on 369 Posts

Yup, 12,000 miles of towing a 9500 lb fiver and all of it tuned. 56,000 total and have been tuned since 8,000 miles I have made some really serious pulls up the mountains of Wyoming and glad I got an aftermarket IC prior to that trip as it was over 100 in OK, TX panhandle and NM. The other suggestion is to change spark plugs every 30K as mine were fried by 40K. And always tow with premium fuel like Ford recommends.

Last edited by SkiSmuggs; 07-09-2014 at 10:49 PM.
Old 07-09-2014, 11:42 PM

Received 167 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by phantomblackgto
Dealer may not detect it for normal maintenance, updates, typical warranty work, but if you blow an engine or tranny, Ford can still tell if they look hard enough
Originally Posted by CompletelyNumb
I read on this forum that simply flashing back to stock and disconnecting the battery overnight would flush the computer of any trace of tampering.
would accessing the computer be any different than clearing a CEL?
assuming that the computer will be told it's been "accessed" is this any different than running any ODB2 reader on it?
First, reprogramming the ECU is definitely different than reading the OBD2 data stream or sending an OBD2 command to clear a error code.

Tuner hardware devices like SCT try and cover their tracks... They first download and save the stock tune software, then load the modified tune. Later, you can remove the modified tune and reload the stock tune, presumably 'hiding' the fact that it was running a modified tune, but not necessarily hiding the ECU reset. It's not clear that disconnecting the battery does much of anything, other than possibly providing another plausible reason for some resets the ECU keeps track of.

As i understand it, if Ford really starts digging into the ECU, they probably won't find the modified tune, but might be able to see things like number of drive cycles since the ECU was loaded, drive cycles since power disconnected, etc. It probably doesn't look much different than a dealer updating the strategy code, but Ford would know how many times and when the last time a dealer updated the ECU, and might guess that the drive cycles look way too low. Based on this info, they might claim you modified the ECU and void the warranty repair. Not exactly 'proof', more like suspiciion that something like 'melted pistons + ECU just reset = consumer tweaked ECU', and once they decline the warranty repair, it will be up to you to fight them about it. Not sure who would prevail without real proof that you modified the engine, but the cost and hassle of trying to sue Ford to get them to provide warranty coverage usually exceeds the cost of the repair.

Quick Reply: 2014 Ecoboost SCT tune for a brand new truck