Topic Sponsor
2011+ Engine Related Questions Sub-Forum to the new engines that debuted in 2011.

2013 FX4 5.0 odd things happening...

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2018, 02:02 PM

Received 67 Likes on 56 Posts

Default 2013 FX4 5.0 odd things happening...

Alright so I’ve noticed a few peculiar issues going on under the hood recently. It first started with the noise of “screws in a tin can” during acceleration. This was even more pronounced when I was pulling my travel trailer to storage. This is seems to be intermittent. I thought possibly a loose heat shield or even skid plate...who knows!? I checked them and all seems well so I’m stumped.

More recently I noticed a vacuum type sound, again intermittently, during regular driving. Almost as if I had an over active turbo. And recently my radiator fans coming on full tilt at a slow speed and parked. This just happened for the first time today. Noticed my coolant tank had been bubbling. And when pressing the accelerator it would bubble.

I can’t seem to locate any leaks. No detached hoses. No check engine light 🙄. I have approx 60k miles on it and will probably have my dealership look at it but as it is intermittent the chances they will do anything are slim if they can’t replicate it. If I can get an idea I can speak with the service manager as he was knowledgeable when I had other minor issues with the truck and gave my “diagnosis” (which were right) whereas the service advisor plays the “it’s normal or just your imagination” game. Sorry for the rant lol.

ive done research and found many differing opinions but maybe all these issues together can narrow it down..

Any thoughts?
Old 01-03-2019, 07:07 AM

Received 127 Likes on 96 Posts

Are you familiar with how engine knock sounds? The "screws in a tin can" sound seems a lot like the engine is pinging to me, especially when you say its more pronounced under load. Try running high octane or E85 for a few tanks and see if it goes away. You could also change out the spark plugs if the noise persists or you can't find any loose heat shields.

My '13 5.0 has always made a similar vacuum type sound. I've asked before but no one seems to know a definite answer. I assume its just the EVAP or IWE system purging and that its normal.

Bubbles in your engine coolant and high speed fans tend to point to a blown head gasket. Are you low on coolant? Is there a sheen of oil in the coolant, or is your oil cap/dip stick have a frothy/milky appearance? Do you see white smoke from your tail pipe? Since you are seeing bubbles in the coolant, I would perform an engine block test to check if they are exhaust gasses. That would positively identify a head gasket leak. If they are not exhaust gasses, they are probably just air bubbles from a leak, most likely just upstream of your water pump were the low pressure is sucking in air. In that case, get a coolant pressure tester and try and find the leak. I would start here and diagnose this problem ASAP.
The following users liked this post:
FL5OVE (01-04-2019)
Old 01-04-2019, 02:14 PM

Thanks for the response. I was able to find a leak in the cooling system at a T connection and that has been fixed.

What remains is that vacuum sound and the rad fans on steroids.

This seems to happen when the defrost is on directly or using the "auto" climate setting (which is obviously kicking in the AC/Defrost. When off or using the other settings, this does not happen. Being that the cooling system has just been purged and some air may remain, I'm being patient and seeing if that is why this continues as it seems odd that the leak and rad fan issue started at the same time if not related.
Old 01-09-2019, 05:12 PM

Hopefully...finally a resolution coming tomorrow. Dealership states the AC Condenser is shot leading to the sounds and Rad fan super mode. Guess we'll find out for sure shortly!

Quick Reply: 2013 FX4 5.0 odd things happening...