Topic Sponsor
2011+ Engine Related Questions Sub-Forum to the new engines that debuted in 2011.

2013 Ecoboost turbo leak question

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2021, 02:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2013 Ecoboost turbo leak question

Over the past few weeks I have noticed a smell at idle, that of burning oil. A week or so before, I did an oil change and spilled a bit of oil, which I assumed was burning off and the culprit. Well, yesterday I was stopped at a light and saw some smoke from the passenger side of the engine bay. I popped the hood and tracked it down to what I believe is a turbo coolant line. But the fluid definitely looks like oil. Has anyone seen this before? Could it be leaking from somewhere above onto that line? Any insight would be helpful. Picture from the passenger wheel well below.

Old 01-26-2021, 09:26 AM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I just logged on with this very same question? I have been noticing a very faint oil smell in the cab when I stop at a light. When I pop the hood, its hard to determine location? There is no oil drippings on my driveway, nor do I see any drop in oil level on dipstick? Have not notices any smoke as your seeing? I need to look at the turbo area? Had a feeling it might be an o-ring or something along those lines? Will definitely keep an eye on this thread, and report back what I find?
Old 01-26-2021, 11:14 AM

Taking it to a shop tomorrow. I love a good DIY, but taking apart turbos on my daily driver is not something I really want or have time to bite off myself. What sucks is that I have a new 2021 on order...if only this has waited to manifest itself until I had sold it. I will report back with the diagnosis.
Old 01-27-2021, 11:30 AM

Just to update this thread. The shop I took it to diagnosed this as a valve cover gasket leak. He got under the truck and showed me where it was leaking from and some of that oil is getting onto the coolant line to the turbo. I will have it repaired next week, they quoted $5-600 for the job which seems reasonable.
Old 02-08-2021, 09:01 AM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Update, My issue ended up being the vacuum pump seal leaking. Since i’m over 190k in miles, spent the $100 and changed the pump.
took about 45 minutes. Was a bitch being right up against the firewall, but its done! Thanks for all the help!

P
Old 12-15-2021, 09:24 PM

Received 56 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by lcrain
Just to update this thread. The shop I took it to diagnosed this as a valve cover gasket leak. He got under the truck and showed me where it was leaking from and some of that oil is getting onto the coolant line to the turbo. I will have it repaired next week, they quoted $5-600 for the job which seems reasonable.

If they are doing valve cover seal. be sure to have them check the cover with a straight edge to be sure it's not warped.

And since you have a 2013, it'd be adventageous to replace the vacuum pump gasket too. The pump is mounted to the passenger side head.

Quick Reply: 2013 Ecoboost turbo leak question