Topic Sponsor
2011+ Engine Related Questions Sub-Forum to the new engines that debuted in 2011.

2013 EcoBoost Timing Chain and P0304

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2020, 09:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2013 EcoBoost Timing Chain and P0304

OK, so my sons truck was diagnosed with the dreaded timing chain cam phaser issue. Thank goodness it was covered with the warranty. However, after picking up the truck, about two miles from the dealership, the check engine light comes on. Take it back and it ends up being a loose connection with the turbo that wasn't tightened down. Pick up the truck, run down the road, and get another check engine light. Take truck back in next morning, it throws up a code P0304. Dealership swears the two issues are not related and wants to charge me $470 for a tune up. I'm not a mechanic, but I find it hard to believe that the two issues are not related, we haven't had any other issues with the truck. We end up with a negotiated cost for the tune up, but I am still curious whether or not the dealership is correct and whether or not this just happened while they were working on the other issue with the timing chain and cam phasers.

Last edited by sigm; 08-10-2020 at 01:10 PM.
Old 09-06-2020, 08:54 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would fight that. if the timing is off this could definitely make this issue.

a quick look up on that code shows as

The p0304 code means that the cylinder 4 is misfiring or is randomly misfiring. start by checking for intake leaks and if no leaks are found the next step is to replace the spark plugs on cylinder 4.

What repairs can fix the P0304 code?
  1. Spark plugs replacement.
  2. Replacement of cap & rotor, coil pack, plug wires (depending on vehicle)
  3. Repair of engine mechanical issues.
  4. Fixing air leaks.
  5. Repair of fueling faults.
The following users liked this post:
sigm (09-06-2020)

Quick Reply: 2013 EcoBoost Timing Chain and P0304