Topic Sponsor
2011+ Engine Related Questions Sub-Forum to the new engines that debuted in 2011.

2012 F-150 5.0 Issue

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2012, 10:47 AM
Project: Big Red

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Default 2012 F-150 5.0 Issue

I've had a recent problem where in the morning or even the afternoon when I start my truck after work it will idle right off the bat at like 1,200 or 1,300 RPM and then it will gradually make it's way back down to about 500 to 600 RPM.

Is this normal and have any of you experienced this yourself? I am just wondering if it is normal. I honestly have never owned a brand new truck and the last couple of F-150 trucks I had never did this at all. Regardless of it being hot, cold, or whatever outside.

I talked on the phone with one of the mechanic guys from the place I bought it and he told me that the 5.0 will usually do this when the weather starts to get cooler. Not sure if he was full of crap, but he said it was normal. I live in South Texas and the weather has went from being 100 to about 90, but I wouldn't think that would really matter at all.

Just kind of curious what all of you have experienced with your F-150 5.0 and then also another thing is that I hear a distinct ticking noise as well. They said they will check it out, but just wondering if you all deal with this too!

Any feedback is welcomed!

Last edited by JVPPC187; 09-18-2012 at 11:36 PM.
Old 09-18-2012, 11:09 AM

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

How is this a problem? All the vehicles I've owned idle higher when started until they warm up. Completely normal, I'd actually think it was abnormal otherwise.

The ticking is another thing there are a few threads on this, seems to go away after some miles on the clock. Keep us updated.
Old 09-18-2012, 11:14 AM
Super Moderator

Received 4,142 Likes on 2,841 Posts

RPMs are normal
Old 09-18-2012, 12:38 PM

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

The start up RPMs are normal, my truck does the same. Pretty normal for most vehicles to do that actually. The only ticking I hear is from the fuel injectors and only audible when the hood is open. Congrats on the new truck!
Old 09-18-2012, 01:06 PM

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

Definitely a normal thing, the engine idles higher to warm itself up / get all the fluids moving before you drive it. All vehicles I have ever driven have done this. As a rule I wait until the engine beings to idle down before I drive off.
Old 09-18-2012, 10:45 PM

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Just got back from a 700 mile trip in mine, (truck now has 1200 miles on it). And fueling up today I noticed a distinct "tick".. But I remember reading about it on here, and really didn't think anything else about it, the truck ran great and got 19MPG... I couldn't be happier..
Old 09-18-2012, 11:41 PM

That's good to know that the idle problem isn't really a problem, but just normal. I guess maybe the trucks I had in the past did it, but I just never really noticed it as I do with this truck.

Then again, I think that the others being used and not brand new are probably why I didn't notice all that much cause with this one I baby it to death already and pay attention to every detail it wants to show me.

As for the tick, I've read about it on here a little bit. Seems like it could be with the "stretchy belt" thing or maybe a few other things, but I am going to get it checked out on Thursday. I will report back to all of you what they tell me or whether it's a problem at all.

Today was the first day that I actually had to fill my tank up from empty to full. I got 20.5 MPG on the way home. Which is WAY BETTER than what I was seeing the last week. I hope it keeps up that way cause that would only make me love the truck more, but I think getting 15 in town off a 5.0 isn't bad either.

Thanks to all of you who responded to this thread so far!
Old 09-19-2012, 12:07 AM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by JVPPC187
As for the tick, I've read about it on here a little bit. Seems like it could be with the "stretchy belt" thing or maybe a few other things, but I am going to get it checked out on Thursday. I will report back to all of you what they tell me or whether it's a problem at all.
Your 2012 should not have the "stretchy belt". The 2011's had them until about mid year. The "stretchy belt" setup was the cause for a lower level knocking sound in a lot of 5.0 trucks. There is a TSB on it(TSB 11-7-1). So Ford added an idler pulley setup for the AC compressor as a solution, and did away with the "stretchy belt" setup.

Most likely you're hearing the injectors. They can be pretty loud.

Congrats and good luck with your new truck. We need to see pics. I love mine!
The following users liked this post:
JVPPC187 (09-19-2012)
Old 09-19-2012, 08:26 AM

I guess I will find out for sure come Thursday when I visit the dealer in person. I hope that they don't just jerk me around and actually attempt to help me or at least explain stuff to me.

I've read some horror stories on here of how some dealerships just blow people off. It seemed really positive over the phone when I called them, so I can only hope it's like that in person.

It's possible I could just be hearing the injectors, but I am not sure cause this is really just a distinct ticking noise, but then again I may not be use to hearing that cause I never had this powerful of a truck.
Old 09-19-2012, 10:34 PM
Engineer

Received 42 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by JVPPC187
I guess I will find out for sure come Thursday when I visit the dealer in person. I hope that they don't just jerk me around and actually attempt to help me or at least explain stuff to me.

I've read some horror stories on here of how some dealerships just blow people off. It seemed really positive over the phone when I called them, so I can only hope it's like that in person.

It's possible I could just be hearing the injectors, but I am not sure cause this is really just a distinct ticking noise, but then again I may not be use to hearing that cause I never had this powerful of a truck.
most dealerships aren't bad...

Quick Reply: 2012 F-150 5.0 Issue