Topic Sponsor
2011+ Engine Related Questions Sub-Forum to the new engines that debuted in 2011.

2012 3.5 - best replacement cat?

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2021, 11:07 AM

Received 616 Likes on 479 Posts

Default 2012 3.5 - best replacement cat?

been chasing a P0430 (including replacing the driver side rear sensor on GP), truck has just over 130k miles. Looking like the cat will end up being the likely culprit.

Just curious what people are using and like/dont like for a replacement cat. I see an OE driver side cat is around $500 (I believe they changed supplier/design), anyone used aftermarket options and happy with them? Im also open to just throwing on a new downpipe/cat setup but I will keep cats on it. Im fine with some turbo whistle but I don't care for the sound of these motors and don't want to make it much louder.

Thanks for any feedback
Old 01-10-2022, 07:28 PM

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Go ahead (if no other codes are present) and put in a new set of Motorcraft plugs and closely inspect/replace coil boots to eliminate if there are any subtle misfires that aggravate the cat with unburned fuel. Clear the code and see if it returns. Then get an OEM Motorcraft converter. The aftermarket converters can have various concentrations of the catalyst material and might not work as efficiently and may have reduced life or operate below the factory threshold for rear O2 measurement and return the code. If aftermarket is chosen, at least look for name brands that also market as “premium load” of catalyst materials.
Old 01-10-2022, 09:44 PM

Received 616 Likes on 479 Posts

Thanks

plugs and coils were all done with new motorcraft parts less than a year ago, no rough idle or misfire issues. 10-15k miles on them, was doing it before the swap as well.

probably gonna wait for solo performance to have another run of catted mid pipes (magma flow cats). I’ll probably replace the O2s on gp and put defoulers on the rear sensors as well

Quick Reply: 2012 3.5 - best replacement cat?