Topic Sponsor
2011+ Engine Related Questions Sub-Forum to the new engines that debuted in 2011.

2011 F150 5.0L "moaning/buzzing" sound

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2011, 01:55 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default 2011 F150 5.0L "moaning/buzzing" sound

My '11 5.0L with 3,300 miles has started up a new trick. When the truck reaches operating temperature it has started "moaning" under load. It is hard to describe the sound, and "moan or buzz" is the best I can come up with.

It will do this constantly under load, and will stop when idling in (or out of) gear. It will, from time to time, moan at idle.

The sound appears to come from the upper intake area, although *might* be coming from the drive belt area.

And to answer a few questions right off the bat...

1. totally stock, no mods.
2. A/C running/not running has no impact.
3. The electric fans are not running (not source of noise)
4. All connections appear tight.

The truck actually went to the body shop today. A few weeks ago I was rear ended by another F150 traveling between 50 - 60 MPH (ouch). The damage to my truck isn't too bad physically, but there are several electrical issues in-cab (airbags, sync, fuel gauge, productivity screen). It is possible that this was also caused by the collision (and the body shop/dealer is aware of this issue), but I thought I would ask if anyone has hear this sound before.

Here is an audio clip of the noise at idle: http://mypage.siu.edu/bskouby/F150/noise.wav

Under load this sound is constant and a bit louder (can hear it over the radio).
Old 10-03-2011, 02:01 PM
Better OUT then IN

Received 253 Likes on 206 Posts

Mine is 8 months old with 15,000 miles and I have no issues - except for the tranny shudder when towing.

Good luck resolving your issue.
Old 10-03-2011, 07:36 PM

Received 320 Likes on 240 Posts

Hmmm i've never heard that before. Is it still under warranty even though it's been wrecked in the rear? Almost sounds like something is coming in contact with the belt. Maybe a pulley is loose somewhere caused from the impact.
Old 10-03-2011, 07:44 PM

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

There was a similar issue on escapes that was, I believe, a timing chain tensioner.
Old 10-03-2011, 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by bcb97
Hmmm i've never heard that before. Is it still under warranty even though it's been wrecked in the rear? Almost sounds like something is coming in contact with the belt. Maybe a pulley is loose somewhere caused from the impact.
Warranty or insurance coverage will take care of it for sure...not worried about that. This issue is on my list of "broken" stuff that I have given to the dealers body shop. I personally think it is related to the wreck, but I thought I would take a swing at posting it here and see what you all thought.

I did check the drive belt system, tensioner, pullies, etc., and it all looked fine to the naked eye. I don't think there is anything broken there. When you listen to the sound, it really sounds like it is coming from the passenger side upper intake area. I'm wondering if something with the TiVCT system is screwed up from either the impact, or has simply failed. It still runs fine though, even with the noise.

When I find out I will post it here. I just wanted to see if anyone else had ran across this issue.
Old 11-10-2011, 11:28 AM

Default 5.0L "moaning/buzzing" sound - FIXED

Well...the problem has been resolved. Apparently it was the water pump. My local dealer diagnosed the problem, ordered the part, installed it, and so far....all is good.

The problem grew steadily worse over the few weeks from when I first noticed it. So, I think it was a bearing problem on the water pump, and if it would have gone much longer would likely have caused a pump failure, or at least a leak.

Last edited by bskouby; 11-10-2011 at 11:33 AM. Reason: update title
Old 01-04-2012, 05:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bskouby
Well...the problem has been resolved. Apparently it was the water pump. My local dealer diagnosed the problem, ordered the part, installed it, and so far....all is good.

The problem grew steadily worse over the few weeks from when I first noticed it. So, I think it was a bearing problem on the water pump, and if it would have gone much longer would likely have caused a pump failure, or at least a leak.

Mine is making this sound now...I wonder if my knocking sound is related. I am having such a hard time with the dealer and Ford not wanting to fix my truck. Could you provide me with a copy of your work order? So I can show this to them? I would really appreciate it. Thanks, George
Old 01-04-2012, 07:42 PM

racephan...sure, be glad to. I will scan it tomorrow when I get to work.
Old 01-08-2012, 06:31 PM

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by bskouby
My '11 5.0L with 3,300 miles has started up a new trick. When the truck reaches operating temperature it has started "moaning" under load. It is hard to describe the sound, and "moan or buzz" is the best I can come up with.

It will do this constantly under load, and will stop when idling in (or out of) gear. It will, from time to time, moan at idle.

The sound appears to come from the upper intake area, although *might* be coming from the drive belt area.

And to answer a few questions right off the bat...

1. totally stock, no mods.
2. A/C running/not running has no impact.
3. The electric fans are not running (not source of noise)
4. All connections appear tight.

The truck actually went to the body shop today. A few weeks ago I was rear ended by another F150 traveling between 50 - 60 MPH (ouch). The damage to my truck isn't too bad physically, but there are several electrical issues in-cab (airbags, sync, fuel gauge, productivity screen). It is possible that this was also caused by the collision (and the body shop/dealer is aware of this issue), but I thought I would ask if anyone has hear this sound before.

Here is an audio clip of the noise at idle: http://mypage.siu.edu/bskouby/F150/noise.wav

Under load this sound is constant and a bit louder (can hear it over the radio).
I have this same issue with the buzz/moan. It started around 3000 miles as well. Just had it in the shop yesterday and the tech heard it and said that it is almost certainly a defective purge valve solenoid on the evaporative canister. The solenoid dithers and makes the hum. However, they have to follow the TSB engine noise guidelines first, which means the cam chain tensioners and the water pump get replaced first, then they'll fix the solenoid when the engine continues to buzz/moan. The tech was so sure the solenoid was it that he just went ahead and ordered the solenoid with the other parts so that I don't have to bring my truck in again.
Old 01-15-2012, 10:15 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a 5.0 and have not had this problem. A friend of mine has one a few months newer and had the notice. We searched all over trying to figure out what it was and finally got on here and did some research that narrowed it down to the timing chain tensioner or water pump.

He took it into the dealer and after staying a couple of days, they figured it to be the water pump. I think there was a TSB for it already, but it seems that the service department did not have first hand knowledge of it previously.

Quick Reply: 2011 F150 5.0L "moaning/buzzing" sound