Topic Sponsor
2011+ Engine Related Questions Sub-Forum to the new engines that debuted in 2011.

11-14 5.0L lower belt tensioner removal

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2016, 01:34 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default 11-14 5.0L lower belt tensioner removal

I asked this question in a recent post but seeing as it's unrelated to the original topic I figure that maybe it makes sense to start a new thread. Since you have to remove the lower tensioner to gain access to the alternator I have a feeling that I'm not the only one asking this question. I simply want to replace it along with my belts.

Specifically, what I'm trying to figure out is the correct procedure for releasing tension on the lower tensioner which services the water pump and alternator. Whereas the upper tensioner has a key for a socket drive, the lower tensioner doesn't include an index. Is the correct procedure to use the hex nut located on the pulley itself? It would seam that rotating the tensioner counter clockwise would simply loosen the nut?

The following links are related:

Here is a good picture of the belt configuration:

http://image.fourwheeler.com/f/98620...ntine-belt.jpg

Alternator procedure:

https://www.f150forum.com/f70/5-0-al...cement-271536/

Has anybody done this?
Old 10-27-2016, 04:47 AM

Received 716 Likes on 492 Posts

You should be able to relieve tension by using the hex bolt for the pulley on the tensioner, these are often left hand threaded specifically so that they don't loosen when trying to move the tensioner.

However sometimes they aren't left hand threaded (typically in cheap replacements), in this case if it does happen to loosen before moving the tensioner then just tighten it more and try to move the tensioner again, it just has to be tight enough so that the force required to loosen the bolt is higher than the force required to move the tensioner.
The following 2 users liked this post by SALEEN961:
JLTD (10-30-2016), midwestern (10-27-2016)
Old 10-27-2016, 09:29 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks

It's the original part so it's probably reverse threaded if they followed the convention. I wasn't 100% sure if the hex bolt was the correct anchor point or if I was missing something. I appreciate the advice.
Old 10-30-2016, 11:03 AM

Received 83 Likes on 74 Posts

Good to know stuff thanks SALEEN.