Topic Sponsor
Aftermarket Products, Reviews & Installation Discuss modifications and enhancements to your Ford F150.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Window Tint Front Windshield - Texas

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2017, 06:02 PM

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Default Window Tint Front Windshield - Texas

Hey y'all!

I've lived in Texas all my life and I always understood it that in Texas you could not have any type of tint on the front windshield. Not even a clear film. But just now I went to the TxDPS site and looked up the tint laws again. This is what I saw:

Sunscreening devices can be applied to the windshield if all of the conditions below are met.
  1. Sunscreening devices must be applied above the AS-1 line. If there is no AS-1 line, sunscreening devices must end five inches below the top of the windshield.
  2. Sunscreening devices may not be red, amber, or blue in color.
  3. Sunscreening devices, when measured in combination with the original glass, must have a light transmittance value of 25% or more.
  4. Sunscreening devices, when measured in combination with the original glass, must have a luminous reflectance value of 25% or less.
  5. A clear (un-tinted) UV film is allowed anywhere on the front windshield without a medical exemption being required.

This was on https://www.dps.texas.gov/rsd/vi/con...windowTint.htm. Look at number 5. I realize that at the top, it says that "if all conditions are met", but would you interpret that as, yes, you can have a un-tinted film applied to the front windshield, since it says "allowed anywhere". If that's the case, installing a clear film that blocks UV and IR would keep the heat down tremendously. Especially when driving into the sun.

What do y'all think?
Old 06-12-2017, 06:10 PM
Brodozin' through life

Received 1,345 Likes on 840 Posts

The uv tint is legal but you will have a hard time finding an inspector that'll pass it because of lack of information.

I've got 20% on mine.
Attached Thumbnails Window Tint Front Windshield - Texas-img_0114.jpg  
Old 06-16-2017, 01:09 PM

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

I think you read that right. I'm currently looking at tint, tint laws and tint shops for my '17. I think they're looking to do away with the inspection requirement, and if that happens, then only the police will be the ones enforcing these laws.
Old 06-18-2017, 12:21 AM

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

I put an 80% tint on mine with some UV blocking features a couple months ago. It's dark enough for me to notice but not dark enough for others to notice. Inside the truck on a sunny day in Fort Worth, it's like driving with a pair of lightly tinted sun glasses. I think it cost me $250 from a reputable tint shop that does a lot of high end cars.
Old 06-18-2017, 12:29 AM

Received 37 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by 69CanaryCamaro
it's like driving with a pair of lightly tinted sun glasses.
Am I the only one who doesn't wear sunglasses at night?
The following 2 users liked this post by fafafooey:
bubbabud (06-18-2017), UncleFester (03-10-2018)
Old 06-18-2017, 06:11 PM

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by fafafooey
Am I the only one who doesn't wear sunglasses at night?
Lightly tinted=not real dark=can still see just fine in the dark.
Old 06-19-2017, 06:05 PM

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by 69CanaryCamaro
I put an 80% tint on mine with some UV blocking features a couple months ago. It's dark enough for me to notice but not dark enough for others to notice. Inside the truck on a sunny day in Fort Worth, it's like driving with a pair of lightly tinted sun glasses. I think it cost me $250 from a reputable tint shop that does a lot of high end cars.
Do you know what your tint is made out of (is it 'ceramic'?)?

The ceramic ones sold in Austin tend to be very expensive. One tint shop quoted me $650 for the entire vehicle (no sunroof) for a nano-ceramic high-heat rejecting tint...
Old 06-19-2017, 06:12 PM

Received 2,224 Likes on 1,700 Posts

This has been changed for a while. Its great, since it will help those of us with poor performing AC's Could get expensive when a windshield gets cracked.
Old 06-21-2017, 02:33 AM

Received 579 Likes on 296 Posts

Originally Posted by v8_STX
Do you know what your tint is made out of (is it 'ceramic'?)?

The ceramic ones sold in Austin tend to be very expensive. One tint shop quoted me $650 for the entire vehicle (no sunroof) for a nano-ceramic high-heat rejecting tint...
Holy crap that price is crazy lol. I have a SCab, and didn't get the windshield done, but I found a guy on Craigslist in San Antonio that did my 5 windows with high grade tint for $130
Old 06-21-2017, 07:38 AM

Received 2,224 Likes on 1,700 Posts

Originally Posted by tland4
Holy crap that price is crazy lol. I have a SCab, and didn't get the windshield done, but I found a guy on Craigslist in San Antonio that did my 5 windows with high grade tint for $130

While I have not tinted in a while, I think the high grade tint I use to buy, is different from the new ceramic stuff. Could be wrong though!