Topic Sponsor
Aftermarket Products, Reviews & Installation Discuss modifications and enhancements to your Ford F150.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

WeatherTech I Must Drill Mud Flaps

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2018, 07:04 PM

Received 2,888 Likes on 1,094 Posts

Default WeatherTech I Must Drill Mud Flaps

A little break in the frigid temps today so I thought I'd install my Weather Tech No Drill Front Mud Flaps on my 2018 F150. I installed the left front first. No problem at all. Locked it on with the included allen tool and lined up the bottom tab with the lower trim piece hole and installed the small screw and lock nut.
Very easy job. Now over to the front right. Lock it on with the allen wrench and WTF?(Weather Tech Foul -up) There is no hole drilled in the bottom tab on the mud flap to line up with the hole in the bottom trim piece on the truck. No job is ever goes smoothly, at least for me. Had to take out my drill and make the hole myself to install the
bottom screw and nut. Not a big deal but, a little surprised at Weather tech quality control on this one. I'm sure they make thousands of these flaps and I was lucky enough to get the one that wasn't finished properly. Oh well, now it's on to the rear flaps. I wonder what surprises are in store.

Last edited by ManMountainDean; 01-03-2018 at 07:32 PM.
The following users liked this post:
McLovin (01-05-2018)
Old 01-04-2018, 09:02 PM

Received 120 Likes on 97 Posts

You spent more time typing this post than you did drilling the hole. Just think about it...
BCMIF150 (01-05-2018)
Old 01-05-2018, 11:53 AM
Senior Citizen Member

Received 2,707 Likes on 1,548 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by jhelrey
You spent more time typing this post than you did drilling the hole. Just think about it...
Sounds like he was just "blowing off steam"! Weather Tech is usually very good with quality control. I'd be bummed also if I got the one set that got by them. Sounds like it was an easy fix though.
Old 01-05-2018, 04:12 PM

Received 669 Likes on 459 Posts

If you called them they would probably send a new one out free of charge.
Old 01-05-2018, 05:24 PM

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

Didn't really sound like OP was bitching. Hell didn't even sound like OP really cared. Just sharing the install.
ManMountainDean (01-05-2018)
Old 01-08-2018, 07:01 PM

Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts

Well, to hijack his thread--how about a total failure?

Front install of WeatherTech flaps went pretty easy. Rear--not so much. The inner fender hole, where WeatherTech wants you to install a Philips-head bolt with aluminum washer and locknut won't work. There is no room behind the fender to reach in and get the washer and nut on the bolt. This is on a 2017 King Ranch F150...I tried for over 45 minutes before giving up...
Old 01-08-2018, 07:06 PM

Received 2,888 Likes on 1,094 Posts

Originally Posted by mobandit

Front install of WeatherTech flaps went pretty easy. Rear--not so much. The inner fender hole, where WeatherTech wants you to install a Philips-head bolt with aluminum washer and locknut won't work. There is no room behind the fender to reach in and get the washer and nut on the bolt. This is on a 2017 King Ranch F150...I tried for over 45 minutes before giving up...
How 'bout just re-using the plastic rivet? You would still have the locking fastener and the lower screw with locknut holding it in place. I haven't had a chance to do my rear flaps yet but thanks for the heads up.
Old 01-11-2018, 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by ManMountainDean
How 'bout just re-using the plastic rivet? You would still have the locking fastener and the lower screw with locknut holding it in place. I haven't had a chance to do my rear flaps yet but thanks for the heads up.
I thought about that option, but the plastic rivets I found at an auto parts store to replace the one I had already removed aren't long enough to catch the fender once the mud flap is in place. The rivets can't be reused, they are destroyed when you remove them, and the original is no longer then the replacements I found.

I have a friend who is a manager at a Ford dealership, he said one of his mechanics can install them (probably for free).
Old 01-11-2018, 09:28 AM

Received 88 Likes on 74 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by mobandit

It can be done.

It took my 18 yo son and I about 10 minutes to get the 2 bolts in as I already had the Husky Liners installed. Some of the time was teaching him how to do it when it isn't as easy as the fronts were.

I took the nut and put it in my boxed end wrench and wedged it in between the fender liner and the fender, then inserted bolt and started it finger tight before tightening it with the hex wrench.

Frustrating? Yes
ManMountainDean (01-11-2018)
Old 01-12-2018, 05:05 PM

Well, three hours later, two service technicians and 18 gourmet cupcakes later...the rear mud flaps are installed. My friend's technicians installed them for free. The cupcakes were just a way of saying, "Thank you" to his entire staff!

Quick Reply: WeatherTech I Must Drill Mud Flaps