Topic Sponsor
Aftermarket Products, Reviews & Installation Discuss modifications and enhancements to your Ford F150.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tuner question

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2013, 09:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Tuner question

Hello everyone, I have some noob questions about programmers. I have a 2013 fx2 3.31 gears and a 5.0l v8. I've been wanting to put a k&n and some nitro m/t's along with a programmer. But I have been wondering about how the programmers work. Do they tune your truck by simply being installed? Automagically? In my area no one tunes fords and I'm not really interested in canned tunes. But will these programmers for example the one I want the bully dog tune the truck by being installed? Thanks for any help guys!
Old 12-05-2013, 10:28 PM
F150Forum Sponsor - SCT Dealer! 614 620-5050

Received 1,084 Likes on 877 Posts

A tune literally in of its base form is a computer file. So you use a tuner device to upload that tune to the truck via the OBII port and that's what actually tunes the truck. What type of tune you run, preloaded or custom, is dependant on what type of tuner and where you get it.

It's not automatically done but it is pretty simple to tune, just have to follow the instructions. Literally it's plug into OBII port, program vehicle, strategy or custom tune, it will read the PCM of the vehicle and know which engine you have, pop it up and ask you to confirm, and then goes into the tuning from there, and tells you what to do like turn key on, turn key off, ect ect
The following users liked this post:
joe0817 (12-06-2013)
Old 12-05-2013, 10:34 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If no one in your area is a reputable tuner and you dont want a canned tune, you are either stuck with OTA tunes which are a hybrid of canned. I would consider them tweaked canned tunes.

I've run canned on my 5.4L for 3 years without issues. Why the aversion to canned? I run a custom tune on my Cobra but it cant run without one. Haha

Quick Reply: Tuner question