Topic Sponsor
Aftermarket Products, Reviews & Installation Discuss modifications and enhancements to your Ford F150.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tonneau Cover With Toolbox

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2017, 05:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Tonneau Cover With Toolbox

I'm interested in getting a roll-up tonneau cover, but I'm running into an issue. I chose to purchase a slim toolbox for my truck because I didn't want to use up too much bed space. It only extends 12 inches. I was researching tonneau covers and only found those that are to be used without a toolbox, or to be used with a standard toolbox that is 20-24 inches. I'd prefer a roll-up cover because it would take up the least amount of bed space while still providing protection when I need it. I'm worried about picking a cover that may be too long or too short. Does anyone know what my options are?
Old 06-05-2017, 12:41 PM

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Years ago on a Tacoma I used a piece of aluminum angle to create a false bed lip on the face of my toolbox, then shortened my tonneau cover to fit (big straightedge, utility knife, folded the cut edge over and ran it through a sewing machine slowly), then replaced the trimmed off snaps with new ones from the hardware store. Shortened the aluminum frame of the tonneau with a recip saw and filed edges, reconstructed frame.
I installed it with my sewing job toward the front so it was out of sight, used factory snaps at the rear where it showed. Worked very well, bedded the angle in silicone sealant against the toolbox and bolted it with fender washers inside. No issues with leaking, worked great here in snow country.
Old 06-07-2017, 02:04 PM

Received 24 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Bakflip Revolver X2 with a Bak box

Originally Posted by cumberge
I'm interested in getting a roll-up tonneau cover, but I'm running into an issue. I chose to purchase a slim toolbox for my truck because I didn't want to use up too much bed space. It only extends 12 inches. I was researching tonneau covers and only found those that are to be used without a toolbox, or to be used with a standard toolbox that is 20-24 inches. I'd prefer a roll-up cover because it would take up the least amount of bed space while still providing protection when I need it. I'm worried about picking a cover that may be too long or too short. Does anyone know what my options are?
Here's what I installed on my 2017 crew cab and it woks perfect. All my stuff fits in the tool box and fits under the cover. If needed I can empty the tool box and fold it up for more bed room its a fold away tool box. I also made a 2X6 with some etrack for a bed divider.
Attached Thumbnails Tonneau Cover With Toolbox-img_1257.jpg   Tonneau Cover With Toolbox-img_1259.jpg   Tonneau Cover With Toolbox-img_1260.jpg   Tonneau Cover With Toolbox-img_2913.jpg   Tonneau Cover With Toolbox-img_2912.jpg  

Last edited by sdeatherage; 06-07-2017 at 04:18 PM.
Old 06-08-2017, 06:43 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

What kind of box is that? Must have
Old 06-08-2017, 08:50 AM

Received 24 Likes on 8 Posts

Its a bakflip revolver X2 and a bakbox tool box.
Old 06-13-2017, 08:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ultimately I decided to skip the tonneau cover all together and buy a truck bag to store things in when it rains. It feels like the perfect solution to me - provides protection when I need it, remove-able, easy to install.. I guess the only downside is the lack of security with it as compared to a tonneau cover - but I'll usually only use it for traveling and keeping things in it short term. I appreciate all the input y'all provided though!