Topic Sponsor
Aftermarket Products, Reviews & Installation Discuss modifications and enhancements to your Ford F150.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Suggestions on Lift Kits

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2017, 08:43 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Suggestions on Lift Kits

Just bought a 2017 F150 Lariat 4 X 4. Absolutely love the truck and the way it rides but would like to install a 4 inch lift kit on it. Can you guys please let me know your suggestions on which lift kit is considered the best? I'm looking for something with as close to the factory ride as possible. Thanks for your comments.
Old 07-14-2017, 01:34 PM
Banned

Received 515 Likes on 451 Posts

You really have 2 kinds..

1) Your everyday typical lift which won't cost you a fortune. All the brands are very similar and same quality (Fabtech, Rough Country, etc...)

2) Your expensive lifts which have higher quality components (Baja Lifts, Fabtechs higher end lifts, etc..)

So really any lift out there is fine. I'm going to recommend you spend the extra money for a higher performance kit with upgraded coilovers/etc...

I did a 6" FabTech lift... their basic lift and wished I spent a LITTLE extra for the added coilovers and what not... because now it'll cost me more money in labor to go back and add the hardware.

It's worth it to get the better kits. Almost all manufacturers have your basic kits and your higher quality/performance/added options kits... go for the latter (my advice).

What's your price range and who's installing it?

6" Won't give you a factory ride... 4" will be closer to factory ride naturally... 3" even closer. see where i'm going.

Also don't put a HUGE rim (like I did) on... stick with 17/18" max if you want a better ride. Tires... well if you do 33/35/37 you'll get worse of a ride then if you want with a smaller tire BUT lifts LOOK better with bigger tires, but at the same time you add all that weight which hurts some of that ride.

It's a trade off... the higher you go, the more you feel (that's why race cars are so low to the ground, better aerodynamics and control). BUT we drive trucks afterall. I always said I didn't buy my truck to be "comfortable" although that's nice.

Your 2017 rides like "BUTTA" now but after you do a lift you'll feel a bit more of the bumps/etc.. (but you can take them faster/better).
Old 07-16-2017, 07:49 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great info, thanks! Don't have an installer or really price range in mind at this point. I'm mainly trying to figure out the best brands and components that will give me the best ride. I just want to get it right the first time without having to go back and forth. Again, thanks for the comments and please keep them coming.
Old 07-18-2017, 04:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Guys,

I'm new to the forum but I am looking at throwing a 4" lift on my recently purchased 2014 F150 STX (Supercab) 4x4 with the Coyote 5.0L stock 20" rims. I was just curious if changing out the rims is a necessity due to the new control arm length? I'm currently looking at a lift like this one http://www.roughcountry.com/ford-sus...it-574-22.html any advice is appreciated thanks!
-Logan
Old 08-06-2017, 02:25 PM

Received 106 Likes on 66 Posts

Only lift IMO that is safe is the newly designed BDS kit for the '17s. Ford changed the angle of the driveshaft in the 17s, maybe due to the issues I read about people having issues with the driveshafts on their stock 15-16 F150s. BDS purposely redesigned their 15-16 kit with a drop down bracket to get the pinion angle right, all other lift companies advertise their lifts as fitting 15-17, I question this and it would concern me. I've read a few disturbing stories regarding driveshaft issues with and without lifts on the 15-16s...

Last edited by RockUF150; 08-06-2017 at 02:27 PM.
Old 08-06-2017, 10:18 PM

Received 74 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by 73zeak
Just bought a 2017 F150 Lariat 4 X 4. Absolutely love the truck and the way it rides but would like to install a 4 inch lift kit on it. Can you guys please let me know your suggestions on which lift kit is considered the best? I'm looking for something with as close to the factory ride as possible. Thanks for your comments.
I also just bought a 17 4x4. I considered a 4" as well as it looks really good with some 34-35" tires. However I have the same concerns rockuf150 has as I have heard some of the same problems with kits that fit 15-16 model trucks but not 17's or cause problems on 17's. Apparently this is a known issue and some manufacturers have taken the stance that they don't know anything about this problem but BDS has taken it upon themselves to redesign their kit to specifically fit 17's. This sounded great to me until I read about having to do some cutting and welding on a brand new 60K truck. I've had 2 trucks lifted in the past and those trucks either didn't have to cut or welded on or if they did I didn't know about it. I have since changed my plan to go with the boss coilovers and settle for 3" of lift. This should still allow me to fit my planned tire size of 35x11.50. Keep us posted on your decision and please post pics.

Randall
Old 08-06-2017, 11:01 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I've looked into it and I've been told that bds has designed there lift for the 2017 and it doesn't seem like any other company has done 4" design changes from2016 I've been told they changed the diff, I just purchased one and waiting to get it
Old 08-07-2017, 01:28 AM

Originally Posted by Randall1111
I also just bought a 17 4x4. I considered a 4" as well as it looks really good with some 34-35" tires. However I have the same concerns rockuf150 has as I have heard some of the same problems with kits that fit 15-16 model trucks but not 17's or cause problems on 17's. Apparently this is a known issue and some manufacturers have taken the stance that they don't know anything about this problem but BDS has taken it upon themselves to redesign their kit to specifically fit 17's. This sounded great to me until I read about having to do some cutting and welding on a brand new 60K truck. I've had 2 trucks lifted in the past and those trucks either didn't have to cut or welded on or if they did I didn't know about it. I have since changed my plan to go with the boss coilovers and settle for 3" of lift. This should still allow me to fit my planned tire size of 35x11.50. Keep us posted on your decision and please post pics.

Randall
The problem with the coilover lift kits is that they change the geometry of the front UCAs, tie rods and more importantly the cv axles causing premature wear over time. All suspension lifts require cutting the stock subframe, its no big deal although I am a bit squeamish cutting into a brand new 60k truck too.

Originally Posted by Rjcanada
I've looked into it and I've been told that bds has designed there lift for the 2017 and it doesn't seem like any other company has done 4" design changes from2016 I've been told they changed the diff, I just purchased one and waiting to get it
I'm with ya, I was impressed by BDS to own up to this while other companies are simply ignoring this issue.
Old 08-07-2017, 10:19 AM

Received 74 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by RockUF150
The problem with the coilover lift kits is that they change the geometry of the front UCAs, tie rods and more importantly the cv axles causing premature wear over time. All suspension lifts require cutting the stock subframe, its no big deal although I am a bit squeamish cutting into a brand new 60k truck too.

I'm with ya, I was impressed by BDS to own up to this while other companies are simply ignoring this issue.
I was under the assumption that if you get the coilovers with the Icon UCA's that remedied the UCA and CV angle problems?? Hopefully I am correct because that was my plan??

Randall
Old 08-07-2017, 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by Randall1111
I was under the assumption that if you get the coilovers with the Icon UCA's that remedied the UCA and CV angle problems?? Hopefully I am correct because that was my plan??

Randall
Unfortunately I don't think that's the case,unless the UCAs correct the issues.

The higher you go with that setup the worse the angle will be and the more stress it'll put on the front end. Read through the FAQs on the Stage3 site, I think I saw a question about the stress on those parts the kit will have and Stage3 commented that same info I'm relaying here. It doesn't correct the angle of any of those parts. In fact try and find a straight on pic of the CV Axle of someone who has it on their truck to see if it's straight or bent.

Last edited by RockUF150; 08-07-2017 at 06:03 PM.