Topic Sponsor
Aftermarket Products, Reviews & Installation Discuss modifications and enhancements to your Ford F150.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Smittybilt smartcover trifold tonneau issue?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2016, 08:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Smittybilt smartcover trifold tonneau issue?

I just received this tonneau cover for my 2013 F150.
I went with Smittybilt because I liked the material and have used them for my Jeep stuff quite a bit.
I was expecting the install to be a 15 minute job but found that when I placed the cover on the truck, it would not fold out straight. I have verified it s the canvas that is tight and nothing 'mechanical' with the folding mechanism. Planning to call them tomorrow but want to find out if this is typical with the soft tri fold covers? The temperature is about 55 deg which I know is not ideal.
This a problem or should I clamp and stretch this?
Old 05-15-2016, 12:58 PM

I got this from Autoanything.
Old 05-16-2016, 10:00 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I put a tonno pro on my 16 and like to never got it fastened down. I am a pretty big dude and it took everything I had to fasten it down. I had to let it set in the sun for a while too.
Old 05-16-2016, 01:44 PM

Those covers need to have a little heat on them before they will flex easier. Clamp down the two clamps closest to the bed. PArk in the sunlight for an hour of so, then tighten clamps closest to the tailgate.

All the tri-folds need to be broken in, the fabric will stretch with use and sunlight. Most are the same as a jeep top and those need to be installed when over 75 and in direct sunlight to help stretch the top.
Old 05-17-2016, 03:42 AM

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Helped a buddy installed smartcover couple of months around, definitely needs warm and heat to stretch it.
Old 05-17-2016, 06:04 AM

I ended up clamping the cover on each side and it seemed to install pretty nicely.
I will get it out in the sun in order to "form" the canvas.
Now my only question is how it seals as it sits on top of the protectors on the side of the truck? Might need some sealing strips to fill in the gaps.
Thanks
For all the responses!
Old 05-18-2016, 11:16 AM

Wanted to give an update.
The cover looks nice and as mentioned above, will be getting sealing strip to close the gaps left by the 'uneven' protector that the tonneau cover lies in. This must be the case for any of this style of tonneau cover which I don't think is a big deal.

One other thing to mention is that when I called Autoanything with a question, they sent me to 'Procomp' who must have recently purchased Smittybilt? In any case, their service has been non-existant. Phone extension for Smittybilt went to constant 'beep' and email to Procomp was unsuccessful. Also went directly to Smittybilt link from Procomp's web page and had no luck. Unfortunately, I would recommend against Smittybilt products until their service is back to what it used to be.

Quick Reply: Smittybilt smartcover trifold tonneau issue?