Topic Sponsor
Aftermarket Products, Reviews & Installation Discuss modifications and enhancements to your Ford F150.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Roll-X Security Fix

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2013, 09:12 PM

Received 87 Likes on 59 Posts

Default Roll-X Security Fix

After lurking around here for years on and off, I recently used this site to help me decide on a bed cover for my new truck. I picked the BAK Roll-X and had it installed locally. We planned on taking a short trip and I wanted to be able to leave some plastic bins of stuff in the truck overnight. After playing around with the Roll-X latches, I figured out how to open the top, using only a screwdriver, in about 3 seconds with the tailgate closed and locked. Once you know how it works, the top is ridiculously easy to unlatch, even with the tailgate closed.

I wanted more security than the simple pull-cord latch, so I added a "lock" of my own design. Thought some folks might find it useful and wanted to give back a little to the forum, so here's a brief explanation and some pictures.

I bought all the hardware at my local home-center for less than $20.

This first one shows a turnbuckle connected to a short length of chain. There is an "S" hook on each end of the chain. I closed the S hook ends in the vice to keep all the bits together.

The latch extends past the rail on underside of the Roll-X top and has 2 unused holes exposed. I put a locking C-link through the hole on the cab-side (not the tailgate-side). There wasn't enough clearance to get it through without taking the latch apart, which I didn't want to do...so I spread the C-link, threaded it through and closed it back up. I used pliers to do this and it took a bit of fussing with it to get lined up right so it would screw back together.

The other end of the turnbuckle hooks to the tie-down point at the back of the truck. Here's a picture of it installed with the top clicked-down and the turnbuckle hand-tightened.

Here's a picture of the top clicked-down without the turnbuckle installed. The C-ring just hangs free and stays out of the way.

With turnbuckles installed on both sides and the tailgate closed and locked, the stuff in the bed of the truck seems pretty secure. With the tailgate closed there isn't enough room to get a pair of bolt cutters wedged in the space between the tailgate and top. The Roll-X top itself is also pretty sturdy.

I'm not trying to make it vault-like, just trying to make it hard enough to get the bad guys to look elsewhere for some easier pickings...
Attached Images    

Last edited by jgohlke; 01-06-2013 at 09:17 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by jgohlke:
Captainjml (06-08-2018), S5S5G6 (01-21-2013), ScottGreer (01-29-2019)
Old 01-07-2013, 12:51 AM

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

very clever, and a simple way to make an insecure area, secure again.

good work, may steal this design from you when I get my truck & a cover for it.
Old 02-23-2013, 06:54 AM

Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts

I looked at this cover and watched the video presentation by the BAK President. What a joke when he talks about security. Calls it impregnable. LOL. Any cover with that pull cable can be gotten into with a coat hanger. Other then that small( BIG) issue it seems like a good idea and your security fix is PERFECT

Last edited by Sitedrifter; 02-23-2013 at 09:35 AM.
The following users liked this post:
jgohlke (02-24-2013)
Old 02-23-2013, 08:53 AM

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts

This is indeed a good way to add more security to this cover when needed. Thanks for sharing your idea with us.
jgohlke (02-24-2013)
Old 02-23-2013, 11:47 AM

Received 93 Likes on 57 Posts

Great Ideal.
And if you wanted to doll it up just use thin 1/8" - 1/4" colored PVC/Vinyl coated cable
Knightyknight (05-06-2019)
Old 02-24-2013, 07:47 AM

Received 87 Likes on 59 Posts

My son and I drove the truck down to Key Largo this weekend and did some scuba diving. With the chains holding down the cover, we felt comfortable leaving the wet gear in the truck overnight. Tailgate locked, of course. It was a great option to leave the wet, stinky stuff in the bed of the truck instead of hauling it into the hotel room.

It worked out great. Very happy with the fix. Only takes a few seconds to put on or take off, no tools required.
Old 03-12-2013, 01:33 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks for the information. I have a Roll-X on order and after looking at your photos, I now see the flaw. Ill be doing the same thing. Thanks for the tip.
Old 04-14-2013, 06:35 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

great idea .... going to lowes now....
Old 05-17-2013, 12:16 PM

Received 73 Likes on 57 Posts

This is awesome. I am doing this.
Old 06-09-2013, 08:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just got my roll x. Did you have to drill out the holes for the ring? Also, one of the screws is in place where yours is at. Did any of you have to relocate that screw?

Quick Reply: Roll-X Security Fix