Topic Sponsor
Aftermarket Products, Reviews & Installation Discuss modifications and enhancements to your Ford F150.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Raptor Fox Shocks vs. FX4 Stock

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2013, 12:50 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Raptor Fox Shocks vs. FX4 Stock

Hey guys, I was wondering if anyone out there could give me some insight. I'm considering switching to a pair of used Raptor Fox shocks and I was wondering how big an improvement they are over the stock 2013 FX4 shocks. Are the Foxes as comfortable on the road as well? Thanks!
Old 12-14-2013, 01:23 AM
King Lariat

Received 60 Likes on 54 Posts

Fx4 uses Rancho shocks, and fox if you go reservoir have a better potency, nothing you'll need to use tbh for the cost.
Old 12-14-2013, 10:18 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by KevFord1993
Fx4 uses Rancho shocks, and fox if you go reservoir have a better potency, nothing you'll need to use tbh for the cost.
I think I saw on a previous thread that the FX4's up to 2008 used Rancho, and the 2009+ use some generic one...I looked and can't see a brand or code or anything. I'm not entirely sure what the reservoir or potency means...any chance you could simplify that a little for me haha? Thanks!
Old 12-15-2013, 12:01 AM

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

My XLT with off road package came with FX4 valved shocks. They are harsh. I swapped them out for Bilstein 5100s. Much improved and you can level your truck while you are at it if you want.

BTW the name stamped in my old shock was the name of the parent company that makes Monroe and Rancho shocks. They are no longer painted white and labeled Rancho on the FX4, but that was just marketing hype anyway. The old FX4 Rancho shocks were not the same shock that you would get if you ordered after-market Ranchos. I would not waste my time putting on any set of OEM shock even if they were free. I have NEVER regretted a set of Bilstein shocks.
Old 12-15-2013, 02:26 AM
King Lariat

Received 60 Likes on 54 Posts

There is Gas charged shocks.

Hydraulic shocks - 'cellular gas'

and there is Resivoir.

---

For heavy jumping Resivoirs are better for example, they can handle more compression and are better at dampening because of the resivoir that piggy backs the shock itself.

If you were to fully extend the shock it will put the fluid required because oil does NOT compress so when you hit the ground it will absorb more pressure instead of blowing out.. The shock needs to compensate its shaft to oil ratio to allow dampening. Since a non-res shock will get a bit of air in and therefore air is compressible it will bubble oil causing the dampening to go to hell. In this regard a resi will put the oil required instead of 'bottoming out' and getting air in there.

Quick Reply: Raptor Fox Shocks vs. FX4 Stock