Topic Sponsor
Aftermarket Products, Reviews & Installation Discuss modifications and enhancements to your Ford F150.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Product Review: E&G Console Vault

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2018, 04:26 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Product Review: E&G Console Vault

Being one of the few lucky who live in CA with a CCW, I pretty much carry everywhere I go. Unfortunately, my work has a no weapons policy, and rather than taking the risk of losing my job, I leave my pistol in the truck. I was looking at a buying a ConosleVault, but I didn't look how I would lose the coin tray and that the whole center console is locked. There are a few items I have that don't need to be locked that I would want to have quick access. I then found the E&G Center Console Vault.

The vault is more expensive then the other options, but overall I am happy with the product. The safe is a 3 number combination safe. I wish it was a four number lock, but that is the only fault on the lock. It comes with a backup key that I leave at home. The vault has more than enough room for my holster and pistol (S&W Shield). It has more than enough room for a full size pistol and a couple of mags. It came with a a little carpet to put on the bottom to protect your valuables. The coin tray fits perfectly on the other side and now doesn't slide around when I make hard turns. I still have access to the 12V outlet if needed.

The vault was pretty easy to install, but I did have some problems with the bolts. I wish they would come with a little longer bolts, because it was a little difficult getting the to catch on the steel plate that you install underneath the center console. I had to leverage that steel place up while also pushing down on the vault to get the bolts to catch. Other than that, the instructions were pretty straight forward. Once secured, the vault is definitely not going anywhere. If a thief really wanted to get into it, they probably could, but this eliminates the common smash and grab. The one downside to have the whole console not being the vault is that a thief could have more leverage to just yank the whole thing out, but it would be pretty tough.

For anyone that wants to have a safe for their center console, but still use their coin tray and have an unsecured side, I would highly recommend this product.

Open Vault and Coin Tray Removed

The following 4 users liked this post by jasonkn18:
CavCop (09-17-2018), James1980 (03-10-2019), KingRanchTAMU (04-05-2018), manwithtruck (03-01-2018)
Old 02-26-2018, 01:53 AM

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Very cool. I had a console vault in my 2013 and just ordered another for the 2018. I didn't have any issue with keeping the coin tray in the 2013 so maybe it's something that has changed with the newer versions?
Old 02-26-2018, 10:20 AM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by AndyFX4
Very cool. I had a console vault in my 2013 and just ordered another for the 2018. I didn't have any issue with keeping the coin tray in the 2013 so maybe it's something that has changed with the newer versions?
Really? I don't know what site I was on but I read a review that said that you weren't able to use it. That is good to know in the future though if I am ever in need of a new vault.
Old 02-27-2018, 11:26 AM

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by jasonkn18
Really? I don't know what site I was on but I read a review that said that you weren't able to use it. That is good to know in the future though if I am ever in need of a new vault.
My old age may have kicked in. I do remember now that in the 2013, the coin tray would still fit but it did lift up a little where the lock was. It also had a rubber mat in the bottom of the coin tray so what I did is just drilled a hole in the coin tray the size of the lock mechanism and put the rubber mat back in. Obviously you couldn't see the hole and it worked perfectly.

On the one I just ordered for the 2018, I ordered it with the combination, rather than the key. This would make a big difference but I highly recommend the combination versus the key. Sorry for any confusion.
Old 03-01-2018, 08:13 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks for posting this, I was about to buy the full size console vault and had no idea this product was out there.
Old 03-24-2018, 11:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I installed the EG&G vault last weekend in my 2018. I loved the idea of both a secured and an unsecured side. As mentioned above, installation was pretty smooth. It took me a while to figure out that only one leg of the backing plate went under the console, so I wasted a good 30 minutes trying to get the other leg in. I also had the same problem with the bolts. What I finally did was grab 2 longer 1/4" bolts I had laying around and use those to suck the plate up against the bottom of the console. Once that was done, I put the first two bolts in easily, backed the longer bolts out, and then installed the other two supplied bolts.

Although I understand why, and won't hold it against them, I don't like that the sides are just painted/coated steel. I may buy some upholstery velour or something else to line the sides of the vault.

One slight issue: My console lid is hard to latch now. It will, but I have to close it with a purpose, and at a slight angle. Not sure if I tweaked something during installation, or if the clearances are just that tight, but I'm a 1/16" or maybe even a 1/32" short somewhere.

ETA: One other thing... I had a hard time finding a vendor. I ended up buying mine on EBay. Purchase was smooth. If somebody wants the seller name, I can dig it out.

Last edited by JrB187; 03-24-2018 at 11:21 AM.
Old 03-24-2018, 12:13 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I had the same problem with the console lid not latching down easily - turned out that the tray was a very tight fit, and wasn't sitting flush at one end. Once I gave it a firm shove it all fit fine.
Also had the same problem with the mounting bolts. Turns out there is a protrusion moulded on the bottom of the console near the front drivers side bolt that pushes the brace down. I went to the store and got a 2 1/2 inch bolt that would grab it, and tightened it up to bend the brace into place, then put in a 2 inch bolt because I didn't want too much extra hanging down below the console.
Otherwise, excellent product. Very sturdy. I'm probably also going to line it with something, I put my locking lug nut socket in there and it rattles as it rolls around, which is a bit annoying.
The following users liked this post:
JrB187 (03-25-2018)

Trending Topics

Old 03-25-2018, 07:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by manwithtruck
I had the same problem with the console lid not latching down easily - turned out that the tray was a very tight fit, and wasn't sitting flush at one end. Once I gave it a firm shove it all fit fine.
Wow! Thank you for that.

That wasn't my problem, but it made me realize what my problem was. I just simply transferred my coin tray as it was before the vault. I guess the coin tray sits higher now than before, so all of the things sitting above the top of my coin tray were not letting the console lid latch. Once i flattened everything below the top of the coin tray, the console lid closes easily, effortlessly, and latches sure now.
Old 04-30-2018, 10:55 AM

Received 86 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by jasonkn18
Being one of the few lucky who live in CA with a CCW, I pretty much carry everywhere I go. Unfortunately, my work has a no weapons policy, and rather than taking the risk of losing my job, I leave my pistol in the truck. I was looking at a buying a ConosleVault, but I didn't look how I would lose the coin tray and that the whole center console is locked. There are a few items I have that don't need to be locked that I would want to have quick access. I then found the E&G Center Console Vault.

The vault is more expensive then the other options, but overall I am happy with the product. The safe is a 3 number combination safe. I wish it was a four number lock, but that is the only fault on the lock. It comes with a backup key that I leave at home. The vault has more than enough room for my holster and pistol (S&W Shield). It has more than enough room for a full size pistol and a couple of mags. It came with a a little carpet to put on the bottom to protect your valuables. The coin tray fits perfectly on the other side and now doesn't slide around when I make hard turns. I still have access to the 12V outlet if needed.

The vault was pretty easy to install, but I did have some problems with the bolts. I wish they would come with a little longer bolts, because it was a little difficult getting the to catch on the steel plate that you install underneath the center console. I had to leverage that steel place up while also pushing down on the vault to get the bolts to catch. Other than that, the instructions were pretty straight forward. Once secured, the vault is definitely not going anywhere. If a thief really wanted to get into it, they probably could, but this eliminates the common smash and grab. The one downside to have the whole console not being the vault is that a thief could have more leverage to just yank the whole thing out, but it would be pretty tough.

For anyone that wants to have a safe for their center console, but still use their coin tray and have an unsecured side, I would highly recommend this product.

Open Vault and Coin Tray Removed

+1 on the Benchmade. I love those knives.
Old 04-30-2018, 11:11 AM

Received 86 Likes on 34 Posts

Love the Console Vault in my 2018 XLT RCSB. Most people wouldn't even know there is storage under that seat.

Quick Reply: Product Review: E&G Console Vault