Topic Sponsor
Aftermarket Products, Reviews & Installation Discuss modifications and enhancements to your Ford F150.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking at some mods

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2014, 08:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking at some mods

Thinking about buying some new rims, or some wheel spacers. If i was going to buy some new rims id want them to make the tire stick out more outside the fender. If there are any lifts i can do on top of the 2 inch Pro-Comp level that would bring my wheels outside the fender im all ears.
Thanks

(tried to post a picture of my truck but it wont upload)
Old 12-08-2014, 02:04 PM

Received 224 Likes on 204 Posts

Originally Posted by APackDawg
Thinking about buying some new rims, or some wheel spacers. If i was going to buy some new rims id want them to make the tire stick out more outside the fender. If there are any lifts i can do on top of the 2 inch Pro-Comp level that would bring my wheels outside the fender im all ears.
Thanks

(tried to post a picture of my truck but it wont upload)
Lift doesn't have to do with bringing the wheel outside of the fender. That all has to do with offset. What wheel/tire set up are you running right now? I'd stay away from wheel spacers (unless your truck is a pavement princess and a show truck). There are a lot of risks running wheel spacers. Also, with a lift, you shouldn't run a level on top of it. It puts too much stress on the suspension.
Old 12-09-2014, 07:23 PM

Received 150 Likes on 104 Posts

Wheels spacers not being safe is not completely true at all. Racers and true off roaders use spacers all the time. Universal crap spacers will fail like any other crap universal component, that and users poor installation.

Educate yourself and you'll see that good spacers are also used in military applications. Get either a 1.5 to 2 inch bora spacers and that will give you the width you're after. Boras are wheel and hub centric, extremely important, they're also made of billet aluminum and manufactured in the US. This is where most people miss the mark, by going with a non wheel and hub centric spacer. I've been running mine for a few months, both on trails, dirt roads, and on highways, absolutely no problems.
The following users liked this post:
Fbcoach (12-10-2014)
Old 12-10-2014, 09:31 AM

That's a good point, Jesusv. Hub Centric aren't as bad. It still puts a little extra stress on your components, but not nearly as bad as the universal ones. I'm just not a huge fan when you can achieve the stance you want by using rims alone (i.e. I can do a 17x8 rim with a -12 offset and get the same stance as using a half in wheel spacer).

Any time you push the tires out compared to OEM specs you're going to put some extra stress on your components. Just depends on what exactly is being used. Hub centric and rims won't stress as much as lug centric (universal) wheel spacers.
Old 12-10-2014, 10:13 AM

Received 150 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by Fbcoach
That's a good point, Jesusv. Hub Centric aren't as bad. It still puts a little extra stress on your components, but not nearly as bad as the universal ones. I'm just not a huge fan when you can achieve the stance you want by using rims alone (i.e. I can do a 17x8 rim with a -12 offset and get the same stance as using a half in wheel spacer).

Any time you push the tires out compared to OEM specs you're going to put some extra stress on your components. Just depends on what exactly is being used. Hub centric and rims won't stress as much as lug centric (universal) wheel spacers.
Thats correct fbcoach, lug centric or slip on spacers are a no no. Those things will fail. As for added stress, that's true too and goes for both spacers and wider wheels. There's just no escaping physics.
Old 12-10-2014, 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by jesusv
Thats correct fbcoach, lug centric or slip on spacers are a no no. Those things will fail. As for added stress, that's true too and goes for both spacers and wider wheels. There's just no escaping physics.
Damn physics....

Quick Reply: Looking at some mods