Topic Sponsor
Aftermarket Products, Reviews & Installation Discuss modifications and enhancements to your Ford F150.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lifter problem (HELP)

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2017, 03:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lifter problem (HELP)

I'm 18 years young,have a part time job @ my local grocery store trying to fix up my truck. My dad passed down a 97 f150 lariat 4x4 with a rebuild 5.4 motor,that I have a lifter problem. The truck was sitting for 2yrs and I found a mechanic on Craigslist that posted,he fixed rebuild motors, Anyhow we agreed on a price. The mechanic took it said 2 weeks TOPS!! Well that didn't happen and ended up getting the truck 3 months later . He gave us 3 months warranty and had put a 07 5.4 motor. Everything was going well and the motor ended acting up turned out the lifters on the 07 5.4. He had to redo another motor but this time a 99 5.4,. We waited another 3 months or so and the the same problem happened again after the warranty was over. I feel like the mechanic cut corners since he had to rebuild another motor. I was told to add a additive and it would help but it really didn't do anything,then I was told a lucus additive to add when doing a oil change. I don't want to be messing with additives, I need help finding the right lifters so I can get the motor fixed
Old 11-22-2017, 10:51 AM

Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts

What exactly is the lifter problem and why is he swapping the entire motor each time?

I'm not too familiar with the 5.4, but more information/explanation on what exactly is going on is needed.
Old 11-22-2017, 12:43 PM

Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts

What I also know about the 5.4L is that they are plagued with Lifter Noise. A lot of different approaches and tests done to try and clear it up.

Some used heavier oil, others replaced the engine with new, then others replaced the timing components and even valves to clear it up.
Old 11-22-2017, 01:31 PM

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by Gremlin85
What I also know about the 5.4L is that they are plagued with Lifter Noise. A lot of different approaches and tests done to try and clear it up.

Some used heavier oil, others replaced the engine with new, then others replaced the timing components and even valves to clear it up.
Plagued with lifer noise? interesting seeing how they dont even have them! the 5.4 is an overhead cam engine. It has cam followers. Not lifters. There is a whole bunch of stuff that dont add up here but the main thing is the kid has a bad wrench dude and who knows what is actually going on. Find a guy or shop who knows what there doing and has some reputation of being honest. Thats the best advice I can give you.
Old 11-22-2017, 07:56 PM

Default Update lifters

My dad has a friend that has been a mechanic for a ford dealership here locally since 1988. I called him up and he was the one that recommend the additive. He came by and just buying hearing the truck on he said the lifters. I got that additive and it kinda helped out but I don't want to be dealing with any problems in the future so I would prefer to replace them. At the moment I believe I have misfire which is either the coil is bad or spark plug are even both because around 50 miles an hour the truck shakes. Sometimes at a light u can feel the misfire something isn't right. I want to get ahold of my mechanic so he can connect the laptop and see what the problem is. Once we address the misfire then I'll ask about replacing the lifters.
Old 11-23-2017, 01:16 AM

Originally Posted by Jgarc204
My dad has a friend that has been a mechanic for a ford dealership here locally since 1988. I called him up and he was the one that recommend the additive. He came by and just buying hearing the truck on he said the lifters. I got that additive and it kinda helped out but I don't want to be dealing with any problems in the future so I would prefer to replace them. At the moment I believe I have misfire which is either the coil is bad or spark plug are even both because around 50 miles an hour the truck shakes. Sometimes at a light u can feel the misfire something isn't right. I want to get ahold of my mechanic so he can connect the laptop and see what the problem is. Once we address the misfire then I'll ask about replacing the lifters.
Aint no lifters in that engine kid. There are 2 cams one under each CAM cover (looks like valve covers on old engines) Find someone who knows the new Ford engines. That tick could be a loose plug an exhaust leak or more. Is the check engine light on? If so get the code read and post the exact code here.
Old 11-23-2017, 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by jethat
Aint no lifters in that engine kid. There are 2 cams one under each CAM cover (looks like valve covers on old engines) Find someone who knows the new Ford engines. That tick could be a loose plug an exhaust leak or more. Is the check engine light on? If so get the code read and post the exact code here.
Old 11-23-2017, 02:29 PM

Cam followers. They get called lash adjusters or lifters but they follow the cams. Directly open the valve. Traditional lifters ride on the single cam and push up a push rod that pushes up a rocker That opens the valve. They rarely fail on mod motors. Improper installation..
Old 11-23-2017, 02:36 PM

The 3v engine is known to have issues with the cam phasers that cause a ticking noise. The 2v dont have phasers..