Topic Sponsor
Aftermarket Products, Reviews & Installation Discuss modifications and enhancements to your Ford F150.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Leer camper shells

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2021, 04:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Leer camper shells

Anyone having problems with the fit of the Leer 100XL shells? Since putting one on my 2020 6'6" bed, there is a loud rumbling that is very irritating. It looks like they have made it about 1-1/2" wider than the bed of the truck and the top sticks up above the roof line. On the sides it sticks out about 1/2" on the drivers side but is smooth on the passenger side. If they push the drivers side toward the passenger side, the 'skirt will almost touch the bed on the drivers side and the passenger side will hang out about 2".
Anyone else having a similar problem?

Old 01-25-2021, 04:45 PM

Received 90 Likes on 59 Posts

have you checked your bed alignment? My was way off from the factory 1 1/2" to passenger side. There are some plastic factory guide pins for bed installation that don't allow the bed to always align if they are left in. If the topper is lined up with the bed and the bed is off then you will have this problem. Looking at your photos look like the topper is aligned to the bed and bed is off. Use you straightedge and instead of going to topper go to bed side, it will be obvious if the bed is off.

Last edited by akbrian; 01-25-2021 at 04:51 PM.
Old 01-25-2021, 05:20 PM
dmd

Received 301 Likes on 213 Posts

My 100XQ Sport is maybe a tad tighter fit on the bed, but my bed is off by about 1/4 so it doesn't completely alight either. Doesnt bother me and I could see the
bed was off when I bought it, just knew it was pretty normal and showed the dumbfounded sales guy to his "surprise". I dont hear anything, but the 100XQ Sport
is on the higher end of the feature list so they might make it different.

You can take the cap off (so less weight and less chance of damage), take the bed loose to lift it and get the aligners out and make it exact...
Old 01-25-2021, 06:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by akbrian
have you checked your bed alignment? My was way off from the factory 1 1/2" to passenger side. There are some plastic factory guide pins for bed installation that don't allow the bed to always align if they are left in. If the topper is lined up with the bed and the bed is off then you will have this problem. Looking at your photos look like the topper is aligned to the bed and bed is off. Use you straightedge and instead of going to topper go to bed side, it will be obvious if the bed is off.
just checked the bed and it looks to be equal on both sides, done with a straight edge.
Old 01-25-2021, 08:43 PM

Received 90 Likes on 59 Posts

Get yourself a couple pool noodles at the dollar store and stuff between the shell and cab go drive and see it that makes it go away. If it does shell probably needs to move closer to the cab cause of air turbulence. Could also try just the side that sticks out more and see if that makes a difference. I had a toyota with a capper and had to slide it forward about a half inch cause of noise.
Old 02-25-2021, 11:03 AM

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

I have a 2014 with A.R.E. Z series but had the same issue with the bed being racked. Mine was off just over a 1/4" from one side to the other. (gap between the cab and bed) I removed the plastic pins mentioned above to correct mine. Had to pull mine back as the corner or the cap would rub against the cab.

Quick Reply: Leer camper shells