Topic Sponsor
Aftermarket Products, Reviews & Installation Discuss modifications and enhancements to your Ford F150.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Leaky Bakflip - Cold Weather Issue?

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2011, 04:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Leaky Bakflip - Cold Weather Issue?

I just got my new truck from Ford and ordered the Bakflip for it. I've only had the truck a couple weeks but notice that after a rain there is a bit of water in the bed. I'm not talking a ton but it certainly is not "water tight". It appears as though the water is coming in from the seams where the hinges are. My question is this: the cover was installed in December and it has been fairly cold here since then. I had to take a blow drier to the edges to get the rubber to relax and sit a bit better. Is there a chance that once the summer comes and the rubber has a chance to relax and mold a bit better that this issue will go away? I'm wondering if the water is coming in because the rubber is still a bit rigid due to the colder temperatures here.

I have the truck going in next week for another issue and have asked them to take a look, but figured I would try to educate myself before I actually bring it in.

Thanks!
Old 12-20-2011, 09:42 PM

Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts

Read or watch the YouTube about backflip. You will see where they leak.
Old 12-23-2011, 09:00 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Mine leaks a little but a lot better than the one I had before (Extang)...I went to the dump yesterday and a guy was lying in the back of his truck under his tonnneau trying to get the stuff out..

He saw me and said "well I guess it will be your turn to lie in your truck eh buddy?" I said "nope" and flipped my tonneau open and stood there emptying out the back...he absolutley loved the cover and you know, for the bit of water that gets in, having the ability to do what I did yesterday made it all worth it...
Old 12-23-2011, 11:53 PM

Received 1,523 Likes on 1,203 Posts

Yes, heat the seals with a dryer or heat gun to get seals to go flat. Also make sure the rails are all the way forward as water may come in the corners. Also, if you have the step some may get in there.

Mine is 99% water tight and I love it.
The following users liked this post:
DTLariat150 (10-05-2012)

Quick Reply: Leaky Bakflip - Cold Weather Issue?