Topic Sponsor
Aftermarket Products, Reviews & Installation Discuss modifications and enhancements to your Ford F150.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Kicker VSS for 15 & Up- absolutely worth it

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2019, 03:33 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Kicker VSS for 15 & Up- absolutely worth it

i just installed the Kicker VSS system with amplifier and hidden sub in my 2018 2.7L ecoboost supercrew. I am really enjoying the sound. I don’t think any police officers are going to pull me over for rattling everyone’s windows but it is plenty loud and plenty low. I highly recommend it and I can report that it does work with the 2.7 ecoboost if the auto start/stop is disabled (I use the disconnected plug on brake pedal module method). Also, the system does not rely at all on Ford’s preinstalled subwoofer wiring- it’s an entirely new harness including power, ground and signal. It took about 1 hr and 50 mins to install. This is the third audio system I have installed in a car so I am not a total newbie but it was my first time to disassemble anything in this truck.
Old 02-16-2019, 08:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Awesome, I have been on the fence and waiting for a post like this. Which part number did you buy? I am seeing various part numbers and some claim that they work just fine with the 2.7 Auto Start Stop. Any pics or tips by any chance? Ive had hundreds of car interiors apart to do audio upgrades, but it's always nice to know where to yank on and which direction to get stuff off to minimize breaking the cheap plastic bits.
Old 02-17-2019, 09:28 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ascalise
Awesome, I have been on the fence and waiting for a post like this. Which part number did you buy? I am seeing various part numbers and some claim that they work just fine with the 2.7 Auto Start Stop. Any pics or tips by any chance? Ive had hundreds of car interiors apart to do audio upgrades, but it's always nice to know where to yank on and which direction to get stuff off to minimize breaking the cheap plastic bits.
this is the item description pasted from my Crutchfield confirmation email: “Kicker PF150SC15 VSS PowerStage”.

as for tips, I did notice a few things:
1. The grommet in the firewall referenced in the installation instructions is actually 2 grommets stacked on top of each other. I recommend slicing the inside layer first as that would be the easiest way to avoid damaging the cable or wire in the middle.

2. The instructions show a picture and measurements for the installer to cut out a small rectangle of carpet to expose an existing hole and nutsert in the floor of the cab, behind the seat. It seems that the box was revised at some point and uses a different hole, 4-5 inches away from the original hole. I recommend that you test-fit first to see where the rectangle of carpet will need to be removed. This way you can avoid having an unnecessary third patch of carpet removed.

3. When I first turned the key after installation it was distorting awfully- it seemed like all of the bass was going to front speakers and they were getting wrecked. I turned the volume down right away but it didn’t get better until I turned off the stereo and then turned it back on again. It just happened that once and was kind of unusual... no harm I don’t think.
Old 06-17-2019, 11:46 PM
Hold my beer

Received 435 Likes on 282 Posts

Did you upgrade door speakers too? If so, which ones did you go with?
The following users liked this post:
STF15.0 (06-21-2019)

Quick Reply: Kicker VSS for 15 & Up- absolutely worth it