Topic Sponsor
Aftermarket Products, Reviews & Installation Discuss modifications and enhancements to your Ford F150.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just purchased Truck Gear by LINE-X tonneau Cover

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2016, 01:19 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Smile Just purchased Truck Gear by LINE-X tonneau Cover

While researching for a tonneau cover for our new truck I looked at so many I became confused beyond belief.

I finally went with wife's suggestion, go with convenience & warranty. We were getting LINE-X done & they had many on display to look at. After reading so many post about different ones bad & good I was surprised at how different all the covers looked like & operated in person.

We ended up going with the Truck Gear by LINE-X tonneau cover because it

1. Gave very close to full access to bed including box links & all tie downs.

2. It seemed very versatile for all conditions IMO.

3. Best written warranty of any cover I looked at including labor for repairs or replacement.

4. Not thinking of using it for standing on but it seems durable enough to if I had to.

5. As of this morning after a very heavy overnight rain I can confirm not one drop of water was in bed. I do know this can change going down road with the vacuum effect but I'm very impressed with the seal for now. Also I noticed after installation by LINE-X they didn't use the gutter tubes so I was expecting water at least around the gutter outlets.

LINE-X said they don't install because they don't want to put holes in our new truck. They also said they could add them if I want.

I want to thank Heath with Peragon for his very professional help & bonus offer.

I also want to thank Kyle with Truck Alterations for his advice.
Attached Thumbnails Just purchased Truck Gear by LINE-X tonneau Cover-image.jpeg  
The following 2 users liked this post by Mcgyver210:
CoolStevie61 (01-21-2018), peragon (03-16-2016)
Old 07-13-2016, 08:08 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hey Mcgyver, care to post how this cover has held up over the past few months. I'm pretty much sold on it and have an appointment to get it installed this weekend.
Old 07-13-2016, 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by MisterVolleyball
Hey Mcgyver, care to post how this cover has held up over the past few months. I'm pretty much sold on it and have an appointment to get it installed this weekend.
It is in a word so far AWESOME!

It hasn't leaked yet even though my LINE-X dealer didn't use the drains because they say they prefer not to drill holes in a brand new truck. I really thought it would leak allot but hasn't as of today.

Based on some comments I read about folding tonneau covers I truly expected leakage but even after hard rains, car washes etc bed is dry to date. Maybe professional installation does make a difference with this type not sure. I really planned on a tailgate weather strip kit but it just hasn't been needed yet. In my opinion it is almost as tight as a one piece tonneau Would be.

It is very easy to use with one acception sometimes some of the release cables are a little hard to get your fingers around to pull without feeling around. I use it frequently during the week accessing from ground outside lifting from side.

I have had one of the wing nut hold downs work loose but it didn't cause any issues since re-tightening it.

So far the finish is holding up well no fading etc.

You do have to remember when opening the tailgate without the tonneau to slightly lift the tonneau before closing the tailgate but that has become habit for my whole family. Also if you have electric tailgate release it doesn't drop tailgate everytime due to tight fit I guess so it requires a little help.

It almost gives full access to bed when opened accept for the very small hold down panel. It let's you completely fill space when closed nothing really hangs down to catch on cargo under it.

My main reasons for purchasing were:

1. Convenience of having it installed same time as LINE-X liner.
2. Lifetime warranty
3. Easy to access & use.
4. Decent price.
5. I actually liked the idea of protecting my expensive electric back glass from cargo damage even though when fully open it blocks rear view after thinking about it.
6. My LINE-X dealer said if I didn't like it they would take care of me.
7. As close to full or safe partial access as most anything on market Imo.

Hope this helps I usually can come up with more negatives but this is a very good tonneau cover for me to date with no real negatives.

Oh one other thing I have the Ford cargo extension & this tonneau doesn't interfere with it at all in any configuration.

I almost purchased one of the more expensive roll ones but I just ended up liking the access & simplicity as well as warranty of the Truck Gear.
The following users liked this post:
MisterVolleyball (08-09-2016)
Old 07-13-2016, 11:20 AM

Received 325 Likes on 240 Posts

How does the cover secure when in the up position? Any pictures?
Old 07-14-2016, 12:11 AM

Originally Posted by redranger04g
How does the cover secure when in the up position? Any pictures?
These are the best I could do for now. It is folded up but the rods on each side that actually Prevent it from falling are not up. If you look closely you will see the spots each side where they engage.

Old 07-14-2016, 01:11 AM

Received 325 Likes on 240 Posts

Thanks for the picture. Might consider this instead of the bakflip.

Good looking dog btw!
Old 07-14-2016, 01:43 AM

Originally Posted by redranger04g
Thanks for the picture. Might consider this instead of the bakflip.

Good looking dog btw!
I believe it is a slightly modified BakFlip with a lifetime parts & labor warranty. No one has 100% confirmed this though.

All I can say is I have never regretted the decision to purchase the truck gear tonneau.
Old 07-17-2016, 07:30 PM

Received 56 Likes on 45 Posts

I have a question. Is this a hard or soft cover? Salesman who I test drove with said a fri nd of his had his soft cover cut and his luggage stolen on vacation. Don't know if true or not.

I'm a newbie to trucks. Is a hard tonneau cover that much better protection? I realize a determined thief can break into almost anything,

Also, is aftermarket the way to go as opposed to $995 to Ford for the hard cover!

Thank you very much.
The following users liked this post:
Cguarino10 (08-12-2016)
Old 07-17-2016, 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by MDJAK
I have a question. Is this a hard or soft cover? Salesman who I test drove with said a fri nd of his had his soft cover cut and his luggage stolen on vacation. Don't know if true or not.

I'm a newbie to trucks. Is a hard tonneau cover that much better protection? I realize a determined thief can break into almost anything,

Also, is aftermarket the way to go as opposed to $995 to Ford for the hard cover!

Thank you very much.
This is a hard folding cover but I can tell you any cover has its own security weakness. I actually know the trick to open this one but hasn't been a problem as of yet.
Old 07-26-2016, 10:54 AM

Received 77 Likes on 61 Posts

If you know the trick, you better believe robbers do.

Originally Posted by Mcgyver210
This is a hard folding cover but I can tell you any cover has its own security weakness. I actually know the trick to open this one but hasn't been a problem as of yet.

Quick Reply: Just purchased Truck Gear by LINE-X tonneau Cover