Topic Sponsor
Aftermarket Products, Reviews & Installation Discuss modifications and enhancements to your Ford F150.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

fox suspension ideas

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2012, 05:32 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default fox suspension ideas

Hey guys I thought it might be time to move on to doing some suspension work to my stock setup but I could use some advice form anyone that has experiences with shocks.

I'm leaning on going Fox's 2.0 shocks for the front and rear in my 2002 4wd. I know shocks help in dampening. is there anyone that has upgraded their shocks and seen a significant difference from stock?
Old 12-30-2012, 04:46 AM
Heat Miser

Received 144 Likes on 115 Posts

I've got the 2.5s on my '12, and it's NIGHT AND DAY over stock. I don't know how good or bad your stock shocks/struts were, but mine seemed to either be exceedingly stiff in the initial part of the stroke, or they blew through the stroke even on the smallest of bumps.
The 2.5s actually soak up bumps and hits, and they also isolate them at whichever wheel is taking it. NO transfer through the steering wheel whatsoever on 'minor' stuff.
I don't do any jumping or blasting through 3-foot whoops, so I can't tell you how well they take that sort of thing, but I hit a particularly annoying speed-bump at 45mph, and they floated over it. Even at much slower speeds, the stock struts would attempt to eject me through the roof.
It's been pretty muddy off-road around here since I installed 'em, so I haven't been able to 'hit' something big or square-edged enough to really test 'em yet, but I can already tell they're gonna easily handle my needs.
Old 12-30-2012, 04:52 AM
SkallyWag

Received 113 Likes on 95 Posts

Can you post some pics of the set up and possibly the specs/part numbers. I've got an 11
Old 12-30-2012, 01:29 PM
Heat Miser

Originally Posted by USMC_0316_RAIDER
Can you post some pics of the set up and possibly the specs/part numbers. I've got an 11
Go to Camburg's website and enter your vehicle. They'll show you what I have(Fox 2.5s and their UCAs).
I was talking to one of the people that work there on Friday, and I asked him how 'necessary' is the rear frame bracing that places like Outlaw and RPG push.
He told me they used the same truck I have('12 FX4 E-boost w/ the 2.5s and UCAs, running on 33" tires) to pre-run the Baja course, then several other race courses afterwards, and it handled all of it problem-free. He did say after they went through a set of tires, they switched to 35's to get more clearance, but other than the coil-overs, UCA's and rear shocks, everything was stock on the truck.
The following users liked this post:
USMC_0316_RAIDER (12-30-2012)
Old 12-30-2012, 08:29 PM
SkallyWag

Originally Posted by yokev
Go to Camburg's website and enter your vehicle. They'll show you what I have(Fox 2.5s and their UCAs).
I was talking to one of the people that work there on Friday, and I asked him how 'necessary' is the rear frame bracing that places like Outlaw and RPG push.
He told me they used the same truck I have('12 FX4 E-boost w/ the 2.5s and UCAs, running on 33" tires) to pre-run the Baja course, then several other race courses afterwards, and it handled all of it problem-free. He did say after they went through a set of tires, they switched to 35's to get more clearance, but other than the coil-overs, UCA's and rear shocks, everything was stock on the truck.
Thanks bud you getting fox rears as well?
Old 12-31-2012, 12:48 AM
Heat Miser

Thanks bud you getting fox rears as well?
Yessir....
If you don't plan on pounding the **** out of your truck, you can save a lot of money by just going with the 2.0's in the rear. $115ea compared to $400ea(4wp both on sale right now)

Last edited by yokev; 12-31-2012 at 12:52 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Ksbowtech (01-06-2013)
Old 12-31-2012, 12:52 AM
SkallyWag

I'm looking at there kit online and I may just order that instead of an actual lift since I use my truck for hunting,working,vacations,and I drive it while I'm stationed in California they make lanes and parking so difficult for trucks as it is

You do the install yourself?
Old 12-31-2012, 03:53 AM
Heat Miser

I'm looking at there kit online and I may just order that instead of an actual lift since I use my truck for hunting,working,vacations,and I drive it while I'm stationed in California they make lanes and parking so difficult for trucks as it is

You do the install yourself?
I live in Orange Country, which is where Camburg is as well. I just bumped in there and got a little bit better of a deal. Feel free to PM me if you want details.
As far as installing it, I had BIG problems trying to get the fricken lower shock bolt loose. I wanna say it's supposed to be tightened to 200-ft/lbs, but I had an air impact that has a 400+ft/bs rating, and that sumbitch DIDN'T budge. I initially thought popping the two ball-joints free by whacking the spindle with a sledge was gonna be the PITA of the whole thing, but both of them went easy.
I started running out of time, as my truck won't fit in the garage all the way, so I would've had my truck sticking out of an open garage all night, and my wife would've had to park her car outside, so I buttoned it back up and took it down to my buddies at the local Shell station the next day. In my case it looks like it was the better choice, as it took them almost a full day, which reminds me. The reservoir mounts have a driver's side and a passenger side-AND FOX DOESN'T BOTHER TO MENTION THIS anywhere in the instructions! When I picked up my truck I noticed they had the reservoirs mounted so they were pointing toward the outside, and I knew they're supposed to be mounted parallel to the frame. Luckily my buddy has 'em on his '12 F150, so he shot me pics of his mounted brackets, which allowed the tech to figure out they are side-specific. Keep in mind these guys work on 'stock' vehicles pretty-much 100% of the time, so this was their first time screwing around with Fox suspension.
I initially was gonna keep my stock UCA's, so obviously the Fox CO's were already on there when I installed the Camburg UCA's. Luckily I didn't need to remove the CO's to get 'em on, but it's still the STUPID way to do it. I'd avoid making the same mistake, and just buy and install the UCAs and coil-overs at the same time.
I do everything bass-ackwards, so you don't have to.
Old 12-31-2012, 04:10 AM
SkallyWag

I live in Orange Country, which is where Camburg is as well. I just bumped in there and got a little bit better of a deal. Feel free to PM me if you want details.
As far as installing it, I had BIG problems trying to get the fricken lower shock bolt loose. I wanna say it's supposed to be tightened to 200-ft/lbs, but I had an air impact that has a 400+ft/bs rating, and that sumbitch DIDN'T budge. I initially thought popping the two ball-joints free by whacking the spindle with a sledge was gonna be the PITA of the whole thing, but both of them went easy.
I started running out of time, as my truck won't fit in the garage all the way, so I would've had my truck sticking out of an open garage all night, and my wife would've had to park her car outside, so I buttoned it back up and took it down to my buddies at the local Shell station the next day. In my case it looks like it was the better choice, as it took them almost a full day, which reminds me. The reservoir mounts have a driver's side and a passenger side-AND FOX DOESN'T BOTHER TO MENTION THIS anywhere in the instructions! When I picked up my truck I noticed they had the reservoirs mounted so they were pointing toward the outside, and I knew they're supposed to be mounted parallel to the frame. Luckily my buddy has 'em on his '12 F150, so he shot me pics of his mounted brackets, which allowed the tech to figure out they are side-specific. Keep in mind these guys work on 'stock' vehicles pretty-much 100% of the time, so this was their first time screwing around with Fox suspension.
I initially was gonna keep my stock UCA's, so obviously the Fox CO's were already on there when I installed the Camburg UCA's. Luckily I didn't need to remove the CO's to get 'em on, but it's still the STUPID way to do it. I'd avoid making the same mistake, and just buy and install the UCAs and coil-overs at the same time.
I do everything bass-ackwards, so you don't have to.
I'm stationed on the north west end of camp Pendleton right by San Clemente how far from camburg am I? Well at the moment I'm in Japan
Old 01-06-2013, 03:03 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Yessir....
If you don't plan on pounding the **** out of your truck, you can save a lot of money by just going with the 2.0's in the rear. $115ea compared to $400ea(4wp both on sale right now)
Right now I've just got a 2.5" level and looking at these for replacements over the rough ***** stock shocks. With my level and the 2.5's in front, 2.0's in rear, do I need the UCA's as well? I've done alot of modifications in the past, but not a ton with suspension, and definitely not a ton of 4x4 suspensions. Thanks for the info so far!

Quick Reply: fox suspension ideas