Topic Sponsor
Aftermarket Products, Reviews & Installation Discuss modifications and enhancements to your Ford F150.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Efan Install 2005 F-150 5.4L King Ranch for better gas milage

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2013, 08:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Efan Install 2005 F-150 5.4L King Ranch for better gas milage

So I decided to go eFan on my 05 F150. I have owned it since 05 and have 165K miles on the truck. I always kept up with maintance, but the gas mileage has been getting to me. After taking 10 different cars for test drives from Audi to Volvo I have I am a truck guy thru and thru. So how do I save gas? I have made it my mission to try and get the best possible gas milage out of the truck. I know it is not the best way to keep track but I am using the MPG in the truck as a reference. In the winter I average around 14.4MPG in the summer 15.2MPG. So that is my starting off point.

First thing I did was an eFan upgrade.

I bought a
Hayden Automotive 3654 Adjustable Thermostatic Fan Control"><span style=Hayden Automotive 3654 Adjustable Thermostatic Fan Control" /> Hayden Automotive 3654 Adjustable Thermostatic Fan Control">Hayden Automotive 3654 Adjustable Thermostatic Fan Control
from Amazon.

two (2) 16" electric fans eBay for $50

three 80Amp 12V 4-pin Relay from eBay $8

I have read that the 30Amp relays they use in the unit are kind-of junk so I decided to use the 80Amp Relay instead.

I installed the unit behind the passager headlight using outdoor 3M 20lb double sided tape. I decided to install it there because of the location to all required componets. Close to the battery, fans, AC clutch wire, etc.

After install a few things to take into consideration.

Have extra wire because the wires supplied by Hayden are still quite short even at the location I decided.

Use 14" fans instead of 16" fans because with the cases of the fans it requires to overlatp the two fans to fit them, or modify the cases to make them fit.

Get a better kit to mount the fans. The ones supplied are junk.

Think about putting a high Amp Alternator in (which I will be doing soon) the draw from the fans cause the headlights to dim at night.

I am interested to see how they work in the summer months. Right now they work great! but I live in the northeast and it is in the 30-40 right now so I could use a house fan on the thing and cool it right now.

I have been driving it with the new eFan for about a week and 350 miles and my average has gone from 14.4MPG up to 16.8MPG!

I am wondering if anyone could give me ideas for other things I can do to to get better gas milage. My truck is stock and when I have had to replace parts I have always gone with motorcraft.

So some things I am thinking about are: 3" Cat back exaust and magnaflow muffler, Throttle Body spacer, and new intake. (I plan to build my own intake out of Carbon Fiber and use a universal 4" cone airfilter.)

I am also in the process of installing a new system in my truck. I am building a custom ported Subwoofer encloser under my back seat. I will create a new string for that. I am planning on raising my back seat 2.5" and installing (1) 12" Rockford Fosgate P3D4 subwoofer powered by a Alpine PDX-1.600 Mono Amp and 2.2 Farad Cap.

I want to say I have found a lot of help on this message board and would like to send some help back. This is my first post but hope not my last.
Old 11-22-2013, 04:49 PM
heavyduty150

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't buy a throttle body spacer...waste of money. exhaust will help a little..not much..cold air intakes help a good bit..I got a Volant and I get more hp and use more air than gas when I get into the pedal. a programmer will get a mile or two better..but if you are getting 16.8 out of a 5.4 then you wont do much better..I am definitely going to do the fan swap before summer..i haven't heard a complaint about efans yet.

Quick Reply: Efan Install 2005 F-150 5.4L King Ranch for better gas milage