Topic Sponsor
Aftermarket Products, Reviews & Installation Discuss modifications and enhancements to your Ford F150.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Did I ruin my strut installing a leveling kit?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2018, 03:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Did I ruin my strut installing a leveling kit?

Hello, after hours of videos and searching online, I still don't know what to do.. I'm hoping someone on here can be of help. I ordered a 3" front leveling kit from MotoFab online. I have previously installed a 2.5" on my '06 f150, but have traded that in for an '09 F150 XLT and have been trying to install the new kit on my new truck. I am working on the passenger side, and once i installed the block onto the strut, the holes did no line up for the 3 holes to bolt the block onto the truck. After seeing a video online of someone turning the strut to align the holes, i did so, but it seems the spring and whole strut turned, not the top part of it. I returned it back, and after realized the holes lined up if i just flip the whole strut 180 degrees.

So i got the holes lined up, and strut in, but when i try to compress the strut to install the rest of the components, it has no give at all. I tried to jack the lower arm up up to connect the spindle, but it just jacks up the whole truck, the strut has no give, and the spindle does not come even close to being able to bolt up, even if i use a pry bar as i've seen online to push the upper arm down.

I live on an island, so replacing the strut is not an easy option, i really hope there's something I'm overlooking.. thank you for any responses
Old 03-15-2018, 10:55 AM

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by soulraver
Hello, after hours of videos and searching online, I still don't know what to do.. I'm hoping someone on here can be of help. I ordered a 3" front leveling kit from MotoFab online. I have previously installed a 2.5" on my '06 f150, but have traded that in for an '09 F150 XLT and have been trying to install the new kit on my new truck. I am working on the passenger side, and once i installed the block onto the strut, the holes did no line up for the 3 holes to bolt the block onto the truck. After seeing a video online of someone turning the strut to align the holes, i did so, but it seems the spring and whole strut turned, not the top part of it. I returned it back, and after realized the holes lined up if i just flip the whole strut 180 degrees.

So i got the holes lined up, and strut in, but when i try to compress the strut to install the rest of the components, it has no give at all. I tried to jack the lower arm up up to connect the spindle, but it just jacks up the whole truck, the strut has no give, and the spindle does not come even close to being able to bolt up, even if i use a pry bar as i've seen online to push the upper arm down.

I live on an island, so replacing the strut is not an easy option, i really hope there's something I'm overlooking.. thank you for any responses
You didn't mess anything up at this point. Its just the fact that you're adding three inches on top of your suspension assembly. Adding so much means your really bottoming out your angles and so putting it back together is just a lot tougher. These are really heavy duty springs so trying to compress them off the truck is going to be nearly impossible without the right tools. Most of the time people are using a bar to almost push the lower control arm down, which creates the room to slide their strut in.

If you read on this forum, (you'll get mixed results...but) people have installed 3" levels, and have been fine. Then a lot of people do not recommend going past 2" because it just increases the angles and "could" wear our your components faster.

Quick Reply: Did I ruin my strut installing a leveling kit?