Topic Sponsor
Aftermarket Products, Reviews & Installation Discuss modifications and enhancements to your Ford F150.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cut Out Cats

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2014, 11:46 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Cut Out Cats

Ok so i see lots of trucks that say they cut out the catalytic converter and i like how they sound so i was wanting to do the same. Now it seems simple in theory to just cut them out with a saw and weld a pipe back in its place but what are the complications that come with that and about how much should it cost to have this done??
Old 02-04-2014, 12:18 PM

Received 90 Likes on 80 Posts

Basically cut them off and weld pipe in its place. However, it'll fail any visual inspection if you live in an area that worries bout that. Will turn CEL on. Personally i'd just gut them then put them back on. Still ganna be loud but it gives it more of a deep rumble.
The following users liked this post:
OutdoorManCopeland (02-04-2014)
Old 02-04-2014, 03:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bryson
Basically cut them off and weld pipe in its place. However, it'll fail any visual inspection if you live in an area that worries bout that. Will turn CEL on. Personally i'd just gut them then put them back on. Still ganna be loud but it gives it more of a deep rumble.
Thanks man! Do you know a reasonable amount of money I should pay to have this done? Under $100?
Old 02-04-2014, 08:46 PM

Couldn't tell ya really never paid someone to do it, but i wouldn't think it'd be over 100 bucks. If you can weld its not a very hard job
Old 03-04-2014, 07:23 AM

Actually come to think of it, i don't think they can unless its an off road use only vehicle
Old 03-07-2014, 09:31 AM
Iraq Lobster!

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Not legally they can't. There's almost always a shop willing to do it for cash, but you'll still have you check engine light lit up (throwing an O2 sensor failure code) and you won't pass a smog test if your state has one. There are O2 sensor spoofers for some cars that trick the truck into seeing the correct value, so that's a solution for the CEL. If your state doesn't inspect your vehicle (like OK) then you're clear on that part too.

The safest, best, most hastle free way to go about it is to pony up the cash, buy a high flow exhaust system of one sort or another and install that. You'll get the minimal performance gains available from exhaust work and you'll get the sound you're looking for, all w/o the above problems, however small they may be. I've removed/gutted cats on previous vehicles, so I'm not going to sit here and preach to you. I'm just mentioning the potential issues and alternatives.
Old 03-07-2014, 10:55 AM

Received 46 Likes on 34 Posts

You could always go the electric cutout route like one's from QTP not to expensive but loud as hell.

Quick Reply: Cut Out Cats