Topic Sponsor
Aftermarket Products, Reviews & Installation Discuss modifications and enhancements to your Ford F150.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Custom exhaust help!

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2012, 04:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Custom exhaust help!

After talking to a few people, and doing some reading on here, I've decided to go with a custom exhaust. Now I need some tips or advice on the whole process from anyone out there who's done this. Is it really cheaper than buying a kit? I was between the Borla ATAK or Roush exhaust for my 2012 F150 FX4. Best way to do this? Thanks for the help!!!
Old 11-06-2012, 04:32 PM
Mav

I'm not much help, but I'm interested in this as well. What are the benefits of custom over standard out of the box? What is the cost difference?
Old 11-06-2012, 06:20 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The only real difference is going to be in the precision. With an out-of-box, you're going to get a product that has likely been proven and dyno'd. With a custom setup, you're likely to get something hand-built and less proven. Obviously, an out-of-the-box Borla is going to have been tested and will likely possess a large install base. However, custom exhausts can save some money. I chose a stainless MBRP SI/SO exhaust and paid a little over $500 shipped though a custom shop in town stated that they'd build something similar for a little over $400. I went with the MBRP because it would be easier to get an off-the-shelf tune in conjunction with the off-the-shelf CAI.
Old 11-06-2012, 08:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think it also depends on what you can do yourself. I purchased a Magnaflow muffler and tip from a parts warehouse for about 120 shipped to my door. I was able to weld it all up myself. I love the sound and it looks good to me. All told I think I spent a few hours on the install as I am very **** and measured things at least 3 times.
Old 11-06-2012, 11:56 PM
2012 blue stx 4x4 5.0

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I got flowmasters on my truck and I love them, I had a local shop put them on and out the door with tax was only $260 so not to bad, alot cheaper than the $800 axle back exhaust i was wanting on my old car haha. There is a little drone around 2500 but thats about it, it doesnt bother me and im used to it now but if you dont want the drone im guessing the stock resonater being left on would def help with that. Highway and interstate driving is quiet as can be though, not much louder than stock. That small drone spot ONLY happens for my truck when accelerating. Hope this helps some
Old 11-09-2012, 03:28 AM
Brianm825

Received 66 Likes on 35 Posts

There are quite a few of us on here that are digging what Slo Performance exhaust has done with our trucks. The Eco and the 5.0L are tricky engines to get right, without any drone, but the Solo systems do a great job. Lots of posts of it already...

https://www.f150forum.com/f38/dual-e...7/#post2141529
Old 11-10-2012, 05:55 AM

I think custom exhausts are good if chosen properly.

Quick Reply: Custom exhaust help!