Topic Sponsor
Aftermarket Products, Reviews & Installation Discuss modifications and enhancements to your Ford F150.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Comparing the Bakflip MX4 and the Retrax Pro MX

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2018, 03:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Comparing the Bakflip MX4 and the Retrax Pro MX

New to the forum, I have a 2018 Ford Raptor. Just thought I would post my one year review of both the retrax pro MX and the Bakflip MX4. Hopefully this review helps with any future buyers! Please let me know your long term impressions of your cover. Thanks!

Old 11-13-2018, 02:01 PM

Received 61 Likes on 43 Posts

Well done review. Nice Youtube channel as well
Old 11-13-2018, 02:05 PM

Received 65 Likes on 53 Posts

You mentioned that the two covers are the "best of the best". Just my opinion, but I would offer the following arguments:

RetraxPro MX vs. Roll-N-Lock A-Series: The Retrax has two locking points and the RNL has four locking points which makes it more secure. (Exception: If you have auto tailgate down or the internal tailgate step, then the RNL only can have two locking points.) Two of the RNL locking points lock into a piece of hardware that's installed on the tailgate. So, the cover locks to the sides and the tailgate. The RNL has a much smaller canister then the Retrax. Both are made of aluminum. Roll-N-Lock A-Series has a 3-year warranty, RetraxPro MX has a lifetime warranty.

Bakflip MX4 vs. LINE-X LXP: The LXP cover is made by both Bak Industries and Undercover (who are both owned by Truck Hero). Instead of a typical powder coat finish like the MX4, the LXP cover has a LINE-X product applied to the panels for increased durability. The MX4 has a 3-year warranty, the LXP has a lifetime warranty. To be fair, there's also the Undercover Armor Flex cover which is similar to the LXP cover, but not all of the panels on the Armor Flex are coated with LINE-X and it only has a 5-year warranty.

Last edited by Stage4; 11-13-2018 at 02:08 PM.
Old 11-26-2018, 11:48 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Stage4
You mentioned that the two covers are the "best of the best". Just my opinion, but I would offer the following arguments:

RetraxPro MX vs. Roll-N-Lock A-Series: The Retrax has two locking points and the RNL has four locking points which makes it more secure. (Exception: If you have auto tailgate down or the internal tailgate step, then the RNL only can have two locking points.) Two of the RNL locking points lock into a piece of hardware that's installed on the tailgate. So, the cover locks to the sides and the tailgate. The RNL has a much smaller canister then the Retrax. Both are made of aluminum. Roll-N-Lock A-Series has a 3-year warranty, RetraxPro MX has a lifetime warranty.

Bakflip MX4 vs. LINE-X LXP: The LXP cover is made by both Bak Industries and Undercover (who are both owned by Truck Hero). Instead of a typical powder coat finish like the MX4, the LXP cover has a LINE-X product applied to the panels for increased durability. The MX4 has a 3-year warranty, the LXP has a lifetime warranty. To be fair, there's also the Undercover Armor Flex cover which is similar to the LXP cover, but not all of the panels on the Armor Flex are coated with LINE-X and it only has a 5-year warranty.

Thanks for the tip on the Line X product, I will have to take a look at that one. Anyone on here install one? I do like the added line-x product added, since I am in AZ and during the summer its blazing hot. Any deals going on today?

Quick Reply: Comparing the Bakflip MX4 and the Retrax Pro MX