Topic Sponsor
Aftermarket Products, Reviews & Installation Discuss modifications and enhancements to your Ford F150.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Catch cans

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2017, 09:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Catch cans

Hello all I am new to the forums, but have been here many times to read up on things for help and advice. I have a question about catch cans. I have a 2017 2.7 ecoboost and installed a upr dual valve catch can with pcv delete and the clean side separator. I have recently been getting a CEL and UPR feels it's the clean side separator can causing it and suggested I remove it. I have a decent understanding of how the dual valve works but not sure if removing the clean side can would effect anything. Would I be defeating the purpose if I had only half the system Installed? Or if the dual valve can is doing its job is the clean side unnecessary? Sorry this is so long just looking to better understand. Thanks!
Old 07-19-2017, 09:28 PM
Ezekiel 25:17

Received 2,371 Likes on 1,215 Posts

As someone who has had catch cans on other vehicles I can say without a doubt they're 100% unnecessary. They're just popular these days, kinda like throttle body spacers were years ago. If the catch can is causing you issues, get rid of it and your issues will go away.
Old 07-20-2017, 06:41 AM
Dazed and Confused

Received 125 Likes on 103 Posts

Why did you install a catch can? Were you having issues?
Old 07-20-2017, 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by Tallyman89
Why did you install a catch can? Were you having issues?
No I was trying to prevent future issues with needing to tear down the motor to clean all of the deposits off of the back side of the valves. This is a very common issue with all ecoboost engines. And Ford has no "approved" cleaning method. If you try to use injector cleaner it supposedly cleans all of the deposits off and sends them through the turbos, destroying them in the process.
Old 07-20-2017, 08:55 AM

Received 274 Likes on 190 Posts

Originally Posted by Yaple150
No I was trying to prevent future issues with needing to tear down the motor to clean all of the deposits off of the back side of the valves. This is a very common issue with all ecoboost engines. And Ford has no "approved" cleaning method. If you try to use injector cleaner it supposedly cleans all of the deposits off and sends them through the turbos, destroying them in the process.

No, its not.
Old 07-20-2017, 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by Yaple150
Hello all I am new to the forums, but have been here many times to read up on things for help and advice. I have a question about catch cans. I have a 2017 2.7 ecoboost and installed a upr dual valve catch can with pcv delete and the clean side separator. I have recently been getting a CEL and UPR feels it's the clean side separator can causing it and suggested I remove it. I have a decent understanding of how the dual valve works but not sure if removing the clean side can would effect anything. Would I be defeating the purpose if I had only half the system Installed? Or if the dual valve can is doing its job is the clean side unnecessary? Sorry this is so long just looking to better understand. Thanks!
Just looking for some info guys, not trying to get into a debate. So please if someone can expain what exactly the purpose of the clean side catch can is. I would truly appreciate it.
Old 07-22-2017, 07:17 PM

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Its my understanding that the clean side catch can is effective when the vehicle is in boost. The passenger side pcv valve closes when the vehicle is in heavy boost. The clean side separator covers the escaping vapors at that time. UPR states that even though their system is designed to not set off any codes they say their system may do so anyway. I think they have developed a sensor to put in line to prevent codes being set off. You might want to contact them.

Trending Topics

Old 07-22-2017, 09:02 PM

Thanks for the suggestion, talked to them already since I have that sensor your referring to. They suggested removing the clean side or getting a tune.... I don't want a tune because of cost and don't want to remove the can because then it was a waste of money...
Old 07-23-2017, 04:46 AM

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

I plan on getting a can but I am only going to use it on the passenger side. I don't want to deal with the codes. I figure a can on the passenger side will help doing what it is designed to do.
Old 08-10-2017, 10:59 PM

I have a 2012 5.0 and a catch can on the passenger side. The ecoboost and the 5.0 have issues with oil vapor going into the intake. After installing the JLT catch can, it was full after 2500 miles. No a catch can is not a fad nor is it necessary for the vehicle, however it is doing its job.