Topic Sponsor
Aftermarket Products, Reviews & Installation Discuss modifications and enhancements to your Ford F150.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

best cold air intake??

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2012, 12:53 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default best cold air intake??

Hey guys I'm new to this but I was wondering whats the best cold air intake for my money I can get. I got a 05 f150 5.4 with no mods to the motor, maybe a programmer in the future.
Old 10-16-2012, 01:59 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Honestly, though everyone has their preference, there is no 'best' CAI and if you're looking for max return on your dollar, a program would give you a lot more bang for your buck. However, if you're hung on a CAI, Autoanything has some reviews from owners available for reading. You can make your own call from there. Note that a CAI works best in conjunction with an exhaust and tune.
Old 10-16-2012, 04:01 PM
Your Mod Superstore!

Received 167 Likes on 151 Posts

^x2

Airaid, Volant, aFe, K&N, Injen, Spectre are all great Intake brands.
Old 10-18-2012, 04:33 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks guys, I been trying to decide between a cold air intake or programmer. I already have a K & N air filter and the Edge Evolution programmer I tried out worked pretty good set on the economy mode with my exhaust and everything else.
Old 10-19-2012, 11:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got the spectre intake. Not to impressed. Works great when its cold outside but seems to really start to lag after about 20miles when the truck is at running temp. The intake heats up super fast eliminating the "cold air" effect.
Old 10-19-2012, 11:56 PM

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

I recently put in an Airaid CAI. Instillation was super easy, took longer to remove the old intake than put the new one in. As for power, I have a SCT SF3 programmer with canned tunes and the get up and go seems about the same with or with out the intake. Highway mileage and power on the other hand has improved noticeably.
The following users liked this post:
Old 10-20-2012, 08:34 AM

Received 41 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by shescountry
Hey guys I'm new to this but I was wondering whats the best cold air intake for my money I can get. I got a 05 f150 5.4 with no mods to the motor, maybe a programmer in the future.

Close your eyes and choose one

Trending Topics

Old 10-21-2012, 03:42 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by BUCKSHOT
Close your eyes and choose one
Literally the best advice yet that I've seen on the subject.
Old 10-22-2012, 09:07 AM

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

As far as performance numbers, you'd be hard pressed to find an intake that outshines another. I would look at ease of instillation, and customer support. My Airaid took maybe 10 min to take the original one out and put the new one in. I think it would have gone faster if I was a little taller. I had a hard time reaching some clamps.
Old 10-22-2012, 09:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by shescountry
I have been in the same boat about which mods and which brands work best since acquiring my '02 SCrew earlier this month.

This is the first truck I have driven since my v-10 Dodge in 6 years (I have been in sports cars since'05) and my first automatic transmission in almost 25 years. Needless to say "get up and go!!!" has become a focus for the first mods for my truck.

Here is what I have found out so far: A programmer with a good tune will give you the best/biggest increase and can be adjusted/enhanced as you acquire additional upgrades. SCT, Edge and Gryphon while all very different seem to be the most popular and best option for your truck.

CAI Mods: Like everyone else has said. There is very little difference between the brands. However, at approximately $10-15 and less than 30 min of your time including the consumption of at least 1 adult beverage the Gotts mod (if it can be done on your '05) is the best bang for your buck. Though it may not give you the biggest increase available it definitely made a huge difference in throttle response on my '02 5.4 and as of this writing about 1mpg better....when I can keep my foot out of it.

Exhaust has always been a sore spot for me as there are many arguments both for and against the perceived performance increases derived from adding modified exhaust. What I have found so far is this: While many OEM systems create significant restriction for reduced sound purpases there is only a very small improvement to be had from opening up the exhaust after the catalytic converter as the bulk of the restrictions occur in the stock exhaust manifold and catalytic converter. That said I love the sound of a well tuned exhaust and already have plans to replace mine starting with a cat back system, then new cats, then performance headers.....this of course after the tuner and CAI and all dependent on how fast my money grows over the next 6mos.

The good news....you can't go wrong. The bad news....none of it is free. Happy hunting and good luck.

Bull

Quick Reply: best cold air intake??