Topic Sponsor
Aftermarket Products, Reviews & Installation Discuss modifications and enhancements to your Ford F150.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Back Up Lights

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2011, 05:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Back Up Lights

Hey guys! I have an 04' F150 XLT 4x4 and and i'm looking for some aftermarket back up lights. I'm sure most of you are on the same page with me when I say I can't see anything with my stock back up lights. I have looked at a few different products that mount into the hitch that hook up to the tow wiring but they turn on every time you are in reverse. This isn't going to serve the purpose I need them for.

Basically, I will be using the lights when I back up when needed however, I don't want them to go on EVERY time so I don't blind people and also, I would like to be able to use them without being in reverse in the event I am doing something behind the truck (gutting a deer, hooking up a buddies truck to pull them out, etc.) Also, I would rather not have to take off the lights every time I need to pull out a friend to install the hook.

Does anyone have an suggestions? I'm pretty sure i'll just have to buy 2 lights, wire them into the truck, and then run a switch into the cab just like PIAA lights, just didn't know if there was an easier fix. What are you guys using for rear lights?!
Old 10-19-2011, 05:40 PM
Jordan

Received 28 Likes on 15 Posts

I have exactly what you're talking about. They're fog lights mounted under my rear bumper. There's a relay screwed in behind one of the tail lights, with a power wire, a wire from the switch, and ground and light feed. The switch is an on-off-on, one mode sends 12v to the relay, the other takes a feed from the stock reverse lights, and sends it back to the relay. So its on, off, or auto. It takes three wires up to the cab from the rear. And two from the battery to each the switch and the relay
Old 10-19-2011, 06:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Jordan, sounds cool. I'm assuming you installed the relay behind the tail light, correct? When you said "there is" I wasn't sure if that meant you installed it all or if this is something that comes already wired on the truck. I'm assuming you did it because I have never seen it before when removing my tail lights.
Old 10-19-2011, 07:14 PM
Jordan

Received 28 Likes on 15 Posts

You're welcome
Ha yeah I installed it myself. The most difficult part was designing the wiring, but it was really simple after that.
Old 10-20-2011, 08:53 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Have you tried LED bulbs? Some times they make a difference

Quick Reply: Back Up Lights