Topic Sponsor
Aftermarket Products, Reviews & Installation Discuss modifications and enhancements to your Ford F150.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

3.5 Ecoboost Catch Can

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2022, 03:54 PM
Just Another Ford Owner

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default 3.5 Ecoboost Catch Can

As recommended over and over I installed the J&L catch can. It's about $150 on Amazon and comes with the hoses with the Ford quick connect fittings. It was a piece of cake to install. After the install I also did the spray Seafoam directly into the throttle body as directed. My mpg has improved a good 2-3 mpg average and my truck runs like it's brand new. It's a 2011 3.5 Ecoboost with 112k miles. The pic is the catch can after about 1000 miles. All that would have been sucked back into my intake. Being a GDI engine, the intake valves are not cleaned by the fuel. The build up that occurs due to the POS PCV tube is what often causes failure, poor mpg and poor performance. I'm definitely glad I did it.
The following users liked this post:
GotaStomper (07-26-2022)
Old 06-10-2022, 03:56 PM
FJB

Received 813 Likes on 522 Posts

This thread will either

A. Get few if any responses
B. Get sarcastic responses or
C. Start a big argument
16IngotFX4 (06-10-2022)
Old 06-10-2022, 04:16 PM

Received 446 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by FishinEZDuzIt

As recommended over and over I installed the J&L catch can. It's about $150 on Amazon and comes with the hoses with the Ford quick connect fittings. It was a piece of cake to install. After the install I also did the spray Seafoam directly into the throttle body as directed. My mpg has improved a good 2-3 mpg average and my truck runs like it's brand new. It's a 2011 3.5 Ecoboost with 112k miles. The pic is the catch can after about 1000 miles. All that would have been sucked back into my intake. Being a GDI engine, the intake valves are not cleaned by the fuel. The build up that occurs due to the POS PCV tube is what often causes failure, poor mpg and poor performance. I'm definitely glad I did it.
2-3 mpg? Is this actually measured or just a guess? Not sarcasm...seriously.
Old 06-10-2022, 05:39 PM
has left the building

Received 3,378 Likes on 2,464 Posts

Introducing Seafoam to the intake track isn't suggested -maybe consider not doing that a 2nd time.

It's suggested that the loosened deposits exist the exhaust and are regurgitated by the turbos. The turbos prefer non-hard chunks of debris fed through it.
I used Seaform in my prevoius vehicle a few times. Never saw any performance gains like you claim (better performance = mpg). Then again, mine wasn't aged and with any buildup.

The catch can likely did noting for mpg, having cleaner valves, perhaps.
also a misconception of seeing a can of oil being equally translated as "that would have been in my motor".
Everybody says the same thing when they see a pool of oil captured.

Last edited by 16IngotFX4; 06-10-2022 at 05:42 PM.
Old 06-10-2022, 06:14 PM
Just Another Ford Owner

I wasn't giving the catch can credit for the mpg's but certainly the Seafoam. There is a right way and a wrong way to spray the Seafoam and what to do after the application. I did email Seafoam and asked if it was safe and if could even potentially harm my turbo charged engine. They replied, giving me grounds for legal measures should it cause damage, that it was "absolutely safe and would not harm the engine or turbos". As to the oil, it's not just oil. Also, my oil level hasn't budged on the dip stick in 1000 miles. As to how I calculated my mpg, I took miles driven divided by gallons pumped and didn't just rely on the economy indicated on the dash. I will note that it is spot on within 1/10 of a mpg. Hope this answers questions and clears up rumors or misconceptions.
bryan_c (06-10-2022)
Old 06-11-2022, 07:22 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Did you add the seafoam to the fuel tank, oil and spray the intake or just the intake?
Old 06-12-2022, 02:13 AM
Just Another Ford Owner

@Grizz12 I only did the spray into the intake.
Grizz12 (06-12-2022)
Old 06-12-2022, 08:21 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

thanks

I did the fuel tank and could feel and hear a difference within a few miles which is why I was considering the oil treatment and intake treatment
Old 06-12-2022, 12:09 PM
has left the building

Received 3,378 Likes on 2,464 Posts

Right, and that's when all the carbon deposits loosen up and enter the exhaust system.

Seafoam people can't guarantee that a carbon deposit won't harm a turbo.

However, nobody has claimed damages that I am aware of, but is good to have knowledge that owner should proceed at their own risk.

I used it on my earlier Ford and a GM a handful of times, maybe 2x a year or something like that. I'm familiar with how it works. On the GM I sprayed the seafoam to the intake, then removed the throttle body to clean it, reassemble then drove to the oil change shop after a short drive.
Old 06-12-2022, 01:10 PM
Just Another Ford Owner

To all concerned about deposits getting into the turbo. When I asked Seafoam about this concern they told me that their product dissolves the carbon and doesn't break it free. Simply put, you get the engine to full operating temp, carefully spray the Seafoam into the intake, let it hot soak for 10 mins then go drive it like you stole it. I also put a fan in front of the intercooler to keep the turbos cool. Don't get too aggressive spraying it in. When the engine begins to bog down, stop and let it catch back up. Otherwise you can make it think it's being flooded and really **** it off. There are all kinds of videos on how to do it right. Seafoam absolutely guaranteed me it would not harm the engine or the turbos in any way. It dissolves and then allows the carbon to burn off vs breaking it loose and allowing it to get into the exhaust and turbos. There are countless success stories. I searched and searched for somebody who had problems after using the Seafoam. I couldn't find one unless somebody didn't follow the very clear directions. I'll probably use the stuff once a year just to keep things clean on the intake side.
The following 2 users liked this post by FishinEZDuzIt:
bryan_c (06-12-2022), Grizz12 (06-12-2022)

Quick Reply: 3.5 Ecoboost Catch Can