Topic Sponsor
Aftermarket Products, Reviews & Installation Discuss modifications and enhancements to your Ford F150.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1996 F150 with a Superchip ECU

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2007, 04:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1996 F150 with a Superchip ECU

I'm considering purchasing a 1996 F150 that has a Superchip ECU installed. I'm more interested in keeping it simple than trying to enhance performance. It has a 302 engine. What problems should I look out for? Does this require a higher octane fuel? Any opinions would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 09-10-2007, 09:24 PM
NGM
Resident A-hole

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Superchips ECU???? They swapped out the whole thing or chipped it?? IF so take the Superchips crap out and get it chipped with an SCT chip and custom tune.
Old 09-10-2007, 10:01 PM

It's advertised as a Superchip ECU chip. Sounds like they chipped it.
Old 09-19-2007, 11:39 AM

I used to sell Superchips when I was with a speed shop a while back - on that truck specifically it is a programmer that is used to tune the ECU, not a chip.

Depending on what the previous owner did you are more than likely going to need to run a higher octane fuel - the programmer I think has a couple of differnt settings for fuel economy/towing/all out drag, along with a few other options - I would call Superchips direct and tell them what application you are working with or I think their website might still actually show what which programmer goes with which application and the parameters you can reset on the factory ECU
Old 09-19-2007, 11:50 AM
NGM
Resident A-hole

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Brad, there is a slot for a chip on that ECU. SCT sells a switch chip that can be custom burned for it.
Old 09-20-2007, 12:03 PM

certian manufacturers might have a chip for it.....its an OBD II system so you could go either way - chip or programmer

I know on some older years Hypertech specifically had a chip instead of a programmer depending on the application, Superchips though they might have had one at one point in time - from what I found on a quick search Superchips specifically was showing a programmer

There are more than likely quality chips/programmers out there for the truck that are better than another for what ever reason

Quick Reply: 1996 F150 with a Superchip ECU