Topic Sponsor
Ford Raptor Forum This is the discussion area for the F150 Raptor.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Raptor or not??

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2013, 06:55 PM

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Raptor or not??

I have a 6" lift on an FX4 and i've been considering getting a raptor. I orginally didn't get a raptor as i wanted a 6.5' box, the 5.5' is basically useless, but i've seen some good looking truck caps and i've now got a trailer for hauling toys.

One problem is offroading, theres places we go that a raptor would be awesome but there's a few ditches and steep drop where the raptor probably can't get down, my truck with the 6" lift does it no problem but my buddies 2.5" leveled FX4 will not go at all, full on bumper in the dirt.

The raptor being a little higher than a stock f150 maybe a 2 or 3" leveling kit will be fine, I was almost thinking off selling the stock shocks and getting new 3" longer ones with the camburg suspension kit and adding a 1.5" taller block to the rear.

Has anyone done something like this or know of raptor that sits a few inches taller
Old 09-14-2013, 11:17 AM
Aus nichts wird nichts

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Replace the stock front bumper with aftermarket, problem solved.
http://www.rpgoffroad.com/products/b...-front-bumper/
Old 09-14-2013, 04:24 PM

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

Lifting blocks wear all the suspension components prematurely, definitely not recommended in the Raptor world. You can raise the front a bit using perch settings on the factory shocks as well, but the mid setting is recommended and its only 1-1.5" raise
Old 09-29-2013, 02:56 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by adam74
I have a 6" lift on an FX4 and i've been considering getting a raptor. I orginally didn't get a raptor as i wanted a 6.5' box, the 5.5' is basically useless, but i've seen some good looking truck caps and i've now got a trailer for hauling toys.

One problem is offroading, theres places we go that a raptor would be awesome but there's a few ditches and steep drop where the raptor probably can't get down, my truck with the 6" lift does it no problem but my buddies 2.5" leveled FX4 will not go at all, full on bumper in the dirt.

The raptor being a little higher than a stock f150 maybe a 2 or 3" leveling kit will be fine, I was almost thinking off selling the stock shocks and getting new 3" longer ones with the camburg suspension kit and adding a 1.5" taller block to the rear.

Has anyone done something like this or know of raptor that sits a few inches taller
As an ex-Raptor owner and now the owner of a 6" lifted FX4 I can recommend both trucks but each has their own advantages and disadvantages.

The lifted FX4 has more ground clearance but basically the same off road ability as the Raptor (both my trucks had the 6.2litre engine) when it comes to 'cross country' low speed 4x4ing. It is no way near as good as nailing it through high speed desert type terrain.

The Raptor flies off road and is better and more stable at high speed desert driving especially if you want to go sideways

It all depends on what type of terrain your doing and how fast you want to go!
Old 10-11-2013, 11:27 PM

how does a raptor compare in fuel consumption? My lifted ecoboost isnt' top bad, its better than my buddies Chevy 1500. a 500km road trip i'll burn about $70 he usually burns $80 but if we drive hard i'll burn a lot more, but thats just from the bigger 35" tires, at a steady pace doing the speed limit the lifted eco isn't too bad.

But from what i hear the 6.2L is a guzzler and its got a small box, my main reason for an offroad truck besides the fact that its what a truck is for, I carry snowmobiles, dirt bikes, mountain bikes, Radio control trucks, etc into the backwoods, dirt roads, sand beachs and so on.

So many people say forget the fuel consumption on a truck, but i'm not a rich person and i'd rather burn more fuel in my snowmobile than in my truck, the truck is just a transport tool for my toys but I'm a big truck fan and take pride in an above average cool looking truck. I can't settle and drive a plan jane truck just for the purpose of its only a truck to get my toys around.

The only reason i didn't get a raptor was when i went to buy a new truck there was a 4-6 month waiting list and the FX4 was a cheaper alternative, and i'm somewhat glad i got the fx4 becuase work was up and down and i'm glad i don't have the higher payments of a raptor and cost of running one.
Old 11-05-2013, 05:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Raptor

I have had 2 Raptors a 2010 Scab and a 2011 Screw nice vehicles just not my style, I own a 2013 lifted fx4 my preference. Don't buy a Raptor if you cant afford to put gas in it they like fuel.
Old 11-06-2013, 02:31 PM

I was thinking about it a while back and i'm going to get my truck paid off and if the raptor don't have a eco boost by then and i'll get another FX4 with the camburg suspension i mostly want something to drive on gravel roads and do some offroading if I was going racing or jumping even the raptor wouldn't be that good, My buddy just got a raptor and it wasn't as much of a truck as what i thought or what people have made it out to be, its just not worth the money for me and $100 a week in gas. i'd rather a 4 or 6" lift with some better shocks it will be be smooth enough and i'll have the clearance i need to get to a few places i need to go.

Quick Reply: Raptor or not??