Topic Sponsor
Ford Raptor Forum This is the discussion area for the F150 Raptor.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Known Raptor issues?

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2020, 03:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Known Raptor issues?

Good evening everybody, and first of all, happy 4th of July!

I've been a RAM owner for a few years now, and am looking for a new truck. The Raptor has really started to grow on me...
I have no experience with Ford and joined the forum hoping people might want to share their knowledge and/or experiences with me.

I'd love to know if there are any real known issues with the Raptor, and what they are? Not judging, I'd just really appreciate the honesty so I know what I'm buying and to help me steer towards the right truck.
For example, if I'd ask the same question on a Ram forum, I'd appreciate they tell me the rear axle is pretty weak and will need an overhaul at some point, the MDS/VVT lifters will probably fail at some point and the exhaust manifold bolts could snap. That kind of stuff.

I don't hate the new Ram's but I'm a little hesitant to spend all this money to get a truck with the exact same engine and transmission + knowing I might have to deal with these problems again at some point.

Also, off-topic: would it make sense to buy a Raptor now, or is it worth waiting for the 2021? I really loved the current gens, but I wouldn't really want to regret my purchase?
How does the 3.5 V6 handle idling for longer periods of time? The Hemi isn't great for that (helps speed up the process of ruining the lifters, and eventually the cam).

Any input greatly appreciated!! Love to learn and am excited to go test drive one soon.
Thank you!
Old 07-04-2020, 03:59 PM

Received 5,989 Likes on 3,553 Posts

Have you read any posts before asking?

And the raptors are extinct, big issue...
Old 07-04-2020, 06:33 PM

Received 578 Likes on 391 Posts

I have not heard of any issues with the Raptor that is normal. I know these trucks will climb a hill run a Baja course do a jump and keep going. If you get a Raptor you have one year to sign up for Ford Performance training. You take their trucks into the mountains of Utah. You just pay your way there and lodging. 450HP and 510TQ and still gets pretty good MPG.
The following users liked this post:
Blumentalist (07-17-2020)
Old 07-05-2020, 05:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ricktwuhk
Have you read any posts before asking?
I have, but the posts I've found are more about small, coincidental problems than problems caused by design flaws everyone will have to deal with at some point.
The last similar post I could find on this forum was for the 1st gen Raptor (clunking front end).

Availability is not too much of an issue where I live. I'm only concerned the prices might go up soon.

I have heard about transmission issues (multiple video's on YouTube where it's spewing out transmission fluid), which is why I'm concerned.
If I understand correctly, the 10 speed was made in collaboration with GM.

​​​​​
Originally Posted by Mlarv
If you get a Raptor you have one year to sign up for Ford Performance training. You take their trucks into the mountains of Utah. You just pay your way there and lodging. 450HP and 510TQ and still gets pretty good MPG.
Thank you! I'm mainly considering the Raptor because I would like to have something more capable in the mud, but also because the Raptor looks so nice and mean!
I will miss the Hemi's exhaust note and the infotainment system, but I'm ready for something new! As long as it's around 20L/100km or 12-ish U.S. mpg combined, I'm ok with it.

The offroad parcour sounds amazing! Unfortunately, I live in Europe, though.
They might've had something similar here for the Ranger Raptor launch, so I'll definitely check! Or I'll ask if I'm allowed to do it next time I'm in the States. Definitely want to try that! Thanks!
Old 07-05-2020, 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by AM12
I have, but the posts I've found are more about small, coincidental problems than problems caused by design flaws everyone will have to deal with at some point.
The last similar post I could find on this forum was for the 1st gen Raptor (clunking front end).

Availability is not too much of an issue where I live. I'm only concerned the prices might go up soon.

I have heard about transmission issues (multiple video's on YouTube where it's spewing out transmission fluid), which is why I'm concerned.
If I understand correctly, the 10 speed was made in collaboration with GM.

​​​​​Thank you! I'm mainly considering the Raptor because I would like to have something more capable in the mud, but also because the Raptor looks so nice and mean!
I will miss the Hemi's exhaust note and the infotainment system, but I'm ready for something new! As long as it's around 20L/100km or 12-ish U.S. mpg combined, I'm ok with it.

The offroad parcour sounds amazing! Unfortunately, I live in Europe, though.
They might've had something similar here for the Ranger Raptor launch, so I'll definitely check! Or I'll ask if I'm allowed to do it next time I'm in the States. Definitely want to try that! Thanks!
You are correct the 10 speed was built with GM. As with all new products there are some issues. I have not heard of many failures in the F150 so I bet the Raptor will be about the same. If I was going to be in mud mainly I would look at swapping out the tyres to Good Year Duratrac,

As for the school it is free as I said all you have to do is get to Salt Lake. They have folks come in from all over the world.

MPG is about 18 for me, I drive mostly highway.
Old 07-23-2020, 06:41 PM

Received 262 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by Mlarv
You are correct the 10 speed was built with GM. As with all new products there are some issues. I have not heard of many failures in the F150 so I bet the Raptor will be about the same. If I was going to be in mud mainly I would look at swapping out the tyres to Good Year Duratrac,

As for the school it is free as I said all you have to do is get to Salt Lake. They have folks come in from all over the world.

MPG is about 18 for me, I drive mostly highway.
truck has to be new to participate ?
Old 07-24-2020, 07:23 AM

Originally Posted by JpEufracio
truck has to be new to participate ?
With in one year of buying a new Raptor.

https://www.raptorassault.com/

Quick Reply: Known Raptor issues?