Topic Sponsor
Ford Raptor Forum This is the discussion area for the F150 Raptor.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Finally going off road

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2017, 10:38 PM

Received 56 Likes on 45 Posts
Default Finally going off road

So living in NY, about 50 miles northeast of midtown Manhattan, there are few, if any, places to off-road. One need only do a google search for off reading in NY and the dearth of results sucks. You will come across years old posts in Jeep forums of people asking the same thing with very little result. Seems the general consensus is most land is privately owned.

Well, one result that came up which surprised me is an off road weekend(s) at Hunter Mountain which is about 80 miles from me. I go there few times a year to hike up with my dogs. They also have a great series of Zipline's I've taken my family to. Yours truly stayed on terra firma taking pics.

So I signed up for a week from Saturday. They offer 2 day sessions which begin with classroom instruction. That would be good for a noob such as me, but I'd rather just do the one day of driving up, down and across the 3,000+ foot mountain.

I'll take pics and have my GoPros going and will post on it.

This is my first truck ever and so I've never done it. I hope I don't get any scratches :-)

here's a couple of static pics. The motion pics were with my GoPro and if you look closely, you can see my Sony Action Cam mounted on outside of windshield.

Last edited by MDJAK; 07-27-2017 at 09:55 PM.
Old 07-11-2017, 02:16 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by MDJAK

This is my first truck ever and so I've never done it. I hope I don't get any scratches :-)
That's the problem with off roading in a new truck that is worth $$$ or your DD in general.

A $10k pickup with decent tires would take me further down most trails simply because I don't care so much about getting new pin stripes or scrapping over rocks.

Have fun though!

Last edited by SVT Guy; 07-11-2017 at 02:20 PM.
Old 07-11-2017, 08:21 PM

Received 100 Likes on 88 Posts

Take plenty of pics. I love to see the trucks offroad. Mine has only had minor mud on it so far. Trying to keep this one clean, time will tell for how long.
Old 07-14-2017, 06:50 PM

Received 119 Likes on 110 Posts

lol i already have some clear coat desert pinstriping. the mirrors mostly. but it is ok. lol that is what i bought it for.
Old 07-14-2017, 07:07 PM

Appreciate the replies. I'm a bit concerned the sponsor is going to cancel. If they don't get enough people, they don't hold it. We shall see. It's a week from tomorrow. I stupidly thought it was tomorrow.

But in the meantime, I've been searching out and pounding down every dirt road in my and the surrounding towns, and having a blast doing it.

Today I was on the way to the gym and went down a nice dirt road, followed by a road with those speed humps in them. Didn't even bother to slow down. The SUV behind me on the other hand .... was far behind in no time.
Old 07-20-2017, 03:19 PM

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

If you can, I highly suggest you take advantage of the free Ford Performance Raptor Assault program. I just got back and am blown away by the capabilities of the truck and I learned quite a bit about my own capabilities/driving technique also. Really well run program as well.
Old 07-24-2017, 10:25 PM

So went Saturday. It was a lot of fun. Some modest mud crossings, some moguls, steep inclines, off camber. Got hung up briefly on a mogul. Instructor came over, told me to turn wheel and reverse and I got right off. Next jeep had to be winched off. Got high centered.

There was 11 of us, mostly Jeeps, a raised Toyota and 2 tacomas.

Lunch at the summit.

The only thing that made it get slightly boring toward the end was we were going very slow the whole day.

I know, pics or didn't happen. I'll get around to posting a few.
Old 07-25-2017, 07:11 AM

Received 100 Likes on 88 Posts

Sounds like fun, now on with the pics,lol. Glad no damage was done to the truck.
Old 07-27-2017, 09:55 PM

pics added