Topic Sponsor
Ford Raptor Forum This is the discussion area for the F150 Raptor.

'18 Platinum vs '18 Raptor

 
Old 11-11-2018, 02:13 PM
  #11  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 14
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Clemsondds View Post
Still canít decide. Anyone go from a Raptor to a platinum (or vice versa) and regretted it? Iíve driven both and there are pros and cons to both.
You want to purchase a 70k truck and you want the internet to decide? Buy what you want and never look back. I bought mine 6k off sticker out of the state and never driven one. Deals to be had on 18's if your patience, have cash and know where to look. I had a loaded 16 lariat, it's no comparison. Now is the time to buy an 18. If I bought a 19 at msrp it would of cost me 9k more due to the 3k price increase and no msrp discount. Good luck.
fordloco is offline  
Old 11-11-2018, 02:28 PM
  #12  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 43
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default

Originally Posted by fordloco View Post
You want to purchase a 70k truck and you want the internet to decide? Buy what you want and never look back. I bought mine 6k off sticker out of the state and never driven one. Deals to be had on 18's if your patience, have cash and know where to look. I had a loaded 16 lariat, it's no comparison. Now is the time to buy an 18. If I bought a 19 at msrp it would of cost me 9k more due to the 3k price increase and no msrp discount. Good luck.
Can you try to compare them? How do they handle in curves differently? How do they ride on the road differently? Around town, do you notice the raptor being more frustrating to maneuver due to it being wider? Itís the everyday use that Iím wondering about. Thatís the stuff ithatís hard to find out in a 10 min test drive. Also, when does the raptor feel more powerful? I have seen a few 0-60 races and usually the lariat/plat 3.5 usually wins over the raptor. I assume itís maybe more mid range power. Thanks again for your help! I know I ask a ton of questions and analyze it a lot...but I just am trying to avoid regretting my purchase. Both are awesome trucks and both have their pros
Clemsondds is offline  
Old 11-11-2018, 05:11 PM
  #13  
Senior Member
 
NASSTY's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: ME
Posts: 9,694
Received 2,018 Likes on 1,502 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Clemsondds View Post

Can you try to compare them? How do they handle in curves differently? How do they ride on the road differently? Around town, do you notice the raptor being more frustrating to maneuver due to it being wider? Itís the everyday use that Iím wondering about. Thatís the stuff ithatís hard to find out in a 10 min test drive. Also, when does the raptor feel more powerful? I have seen a few 0-60 races and usually the lariat/plat 3.5 usually wins over the raptor. I assume itís maybe more mid range power. Thanks again for your help! I know I ask a ton of questions and analyze it a lot...but I just am trying to avoid regretting my purchase. Both are awesome trucks and both have their pros
The lariat/plat 3.5 is slightly quicker because the Raptor weighs 600-700 lbs more and has 35" tires.
NASSTY is offline  
Old 11-12-2018, 05:06 PM
  #14  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 43
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default

Oh ok that makes sense.
Clemsondds is offline  
Old 11-15-2018, 04:59 PM
  #15  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 43
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default

Any other thoughts on the stability of the ride? I've heard from some saying it's a little rough ride and then others say it rides as smooth as a cadillac. And in the curves I have heard it actually corners really well, and then others say it has quite a lean to it. Any other thoughts? I test drove one but didn't get to go very far and the road was smooth. Thansk
Clemsondds is offline  
Old 11-15-2018, 09:03 PM
  #16  
Senior Member
 
MDJAK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: NY
Posts: 252
Received 44 Likes on 34 Posts
Default

I went from a 17 Raptor to an 18 Platinum, with a 18 Panamera in between. On road and around town the Platinum handles, better brakes way better, has slightly longer seat cushions which to me makes a big difference,

That said, I miss my Raptor. The look. The cool factor. The Tonka image. It canít be denied. Paddle shifters I donít miss though nice to have on Raptor. Loved the upfitter switches.

Bottom line, you canít go wrong with either. Both hold value well, way better than any Porsche Iíve owned.

Iím looking toward a Ď19 Raptor. I canít wait to check out the Recaro seats. I sat in Recaros in a GT350 and loved them.
MDJAK is offline  
Old 11-16-2018, 08:59 AM
  #17  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: The Last Best Place
Posts: 203
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Default

OP - what are you going to be using the truck for?
bobn is offline  
Old 11-16-2018, 09:14 AM
  #18  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 43
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default

Oh there's no question...for what I will be using it for...Platinum is the way I should go. The question is...do the looks, resale, and ride of the raptor outweigh the practical use of the platinum. Tough call!
Clemsondds is offline  
Old 11-16-2018, 09:52 AM
  #19  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: The Last Best Place
Posts: 203
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Default

IMO - with the right lift / wheels and different tires on a platinum - platinum looks better than a raptor. And depending on your height, the deployable running boards are actually useable on the platinum. Where stock running boards aren't worth a crap on the raptor; again, depending on height. If I were to get a raptor I would replace the running boards with the AMP deployable.

I drove a raptor before I bought my platinum and doesn't seem to ride any better than a platinum; that is on pavement. Granted the seats are more comfy on the raptor with the extra bolstering, but seats are comfy on the platinum too.

Unless you get a new truck every few years, really, who cares about resale? :-) Especially if you plan on keeping the truck for many years.
bobn is offline  
Old 11-20-2018, 12:41 AM
  #20  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Lake Oswego, OR
Posts: 6
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by bobn View Post
IMO - with the right lift / wheels and different tires on a platinum - platinum looks better than a raptor. And depending on your height, the deployable running boards are actually useable on the platinum. Where stock running boards aren't worth a crap on the raptor; again, depending on height. If I were to get a raptor I would replace the running boards with the AMP deployable.

I drove a raptor before I bought my platinum and doesn't seem to ride any better than a platinum; that is on pavement. Granted the seats are more comfy on the raptor with the extra bolstering, but seats are comfy on the platinum too.

Unless you get a new truck every few years, really, who cares about resale? :-) Especially if you plan on keeping the truck for many years.
I asked a similar question on a different forum.

ďIím not sure if this was asked in another forum or site (like raptorz forum of F-150 forum), but I didnít see one on this site.

For a little background on myself: We we recently got a Super Duty and love it! This is our first American vehicle since my 1989 Jeep Wrangler. TBH, I never thought Iíd ever own another American vehicle (been a diehard 4Runner guy). But I sold my 2015 4Runner (for a killer price- Toyotaís have the best resale ever, but thatís another story) in order to get this truck and I donít regret it at all. Ford trucks are the bees knees!

Anyhow, I love the F350 so much that Iím thinking of selling our other SUV to get an F150. I would love to get a Raptor but the one thing that turns me off about the Raptor is its width. I know that the wider stance helps with its off-road capability, but I much prefer a normal width F150. Ok, the cost is another turn off, and Iím pretty sure I wouldnít pay ADM for one. With the two factors on the downside of the Raptor, I think Iíd prefer a regular F150 with a lift kit, bigger ATs and blacked out wheels. If I eventually wanted to increase the off road capability to be closer to the Raptor, I could try to mimic the Raptor upgrades (minus the body mods since I like the look of a regular F150 slightly better anyways) at a later date and probably still come out cheaper than the Raptor.

Then another option (but less likely for me) is to go with a company like Roush or Tuscany. Iím not sure what the their price points are but Iím thinking theyíd be close to the cost of a Raptor. I love the looks of the Black Ops Tuscany. Roush are pretty cool too, but if Iím not mistaken, their change is more about sup-ing up the engine isnít it? I wouldnít need a suped up engine- an EB 3.5 is enough for me.

Has anyone else here had these thought when purchasing your truck? Which did you go with and why? TIA!Ē


I concur with with your thoughts on the looks...I like the look of regular F150 with a lift kit, bigger ATs, and blacked out wheels.
Ride-Fly is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: '18 Platinum vs '18 Raptor


Contact Us - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: