Topic Sponsor

What can i do to my 4.6

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2011, 01:17 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default What can i do to my 4.6

So im new to the modular engines, only owned FE's and Diesels, What can i do to my 4.6 as far as exhaust, air intake, fuel, ect....... are any of the upgrades more worth it than others? more than anything i want to increase economy and slight power. nothing crazy. mild programmer? the engine does have 180,000 on it.
Old 02-22-2011, 11:41 AM

Received 165 Likes on 69 Posts

First take everything you learned about diesels and throw it out the window. Well not everything but there are many differences between the two. In the gas world there aren't things like "mild programmers" and fuel can't be increased unless there is boost. Don't expect huge, diesel like gains but there will be a little more pep.

Short of going forced induction, it's all about reducing restrictions for more power. First lets start with the intake:

- Filtration and flow are key with the intake. Since it isn't a direct injection washing the cylinder walls like a diesel, filtration is very important. Gas engines don't need the huge cfm numbers as they are lower displacement and not forced induction, but freeing up flow is always a plus. For an efficient and cost effective intake, search the Gott's mod and pair it with a dry filter (Amsoil nanofiber, aFe prodry, AEM dry).

There are several options on exhaust. Long tube headers are the best but are expensive. Also don't get too wrapped up in the cats. The cats don't add much restriction if they are functioning properly and serve a purpose. In my book for decent gains without breaking the bank you have two ways:
- The less expensive option: replace the stock Y with an aftermarket one and replace the muffler with a straight through muffler, keeping the rest of the stock pipe in place. This will give most of the benefits of a cat back at half the price.
- The little more expensive way: replace the stock Y with an aftermarket Y (for single) or X or H (for duals), replace the rest of the stock system with mandrel bent (3" single) (2.25 or 2.5" dual) into straight through mufflers and finish with the exit location and tips of your choice.

Programming in the gas world uses PCM tuning where as the diesel works through ECU. Since we can't dump more fuel and instantly get more power, the PCM has to be adjusted to optimize trims and timing. This will be the best bang for the buck mod. A good programmer is one that is staying within safe parameters while also gaining performance. A custom programmer and an email tune will be best for these factors:
- Gryphon CS/CTS from Power hungry performance.
- SCT x3 from either VMP tuning or Troyer

Start with these and if you feel the need for more start looking into things like efans and gears.
Old 02-23-2011, 12:28 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

that was very helpfull, Thank you!!!!!

Quick Reply: What can i do to my 4.6