Topic Sponsor

getting more out of my 302.....

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2012, 10:11 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default getting more out of my 302.....

So I have a 95 f150 5.0 and it has so much bottom end but not much high end. The options I am considering is either swapping the engine for a mustangs 302 or changing the existing cams or just sending it out to be polished with the whole top end redone.

any advice is helpful, thanks.
Old 07-17-2012, 02:52 PM

Received 534 Likes on 438 Posts

Originally Posted by Kid with a truck
So I have a 95 f150 5.0 and it has so much bottom end but not much high end. The options I am considering is either swapping the engine for a mustangs 302 or changing the existing cams or just sending it out to be polished with the whole top end redone.

any advice is helpful, thanks.
If you haven't done a timing bump yet then give that a shot.... You will want to open the gap on your plugs a touch and upgrade your coil and wires for a hotter spark...
Then check your timing with a timing light. You can retard the the timing a bit for more top end by twisting the distributer. I can't remember the base timing off hand but I believe it's around 10 or 12 degrees BTDC. I wouldn't advance too far past 13.5 BTDC because you may get some pinging and will need to boost your octane levels...I tried retarding my timing on my bronco for more top end and it was a bit of a dog off the line as a result.
If your looking to crack open the motor for power, I would probably start with a head and cam swap.

Quick Reply: getting more out of my 302.....