Topic Sponsor

Engine Rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2012, 12:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Rebuild

I am going to rebuild my 91 351 windsor is honing the engine hard to do yourself or should i have a shop do
Old 06-26-2012, 12:00 AM

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by lee1964
I am going to rebuild my 91 351 windsor is honing the engine hard to do yourself or should i have a shop do
Very easy - just lock in drill , oil the walls & hone - just don't go up to high because the trio of hone stones can pop out ( I had a stone crack when that happened honing my 69 cougar 351 Windsor )
Old 07-07-2012, 08:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hone stones are old school and are very easy to leave a ring around the cylinder, you want to use a ball hone like the one in the link i posted below, just find one that is the rite size for you cylinder bore
http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/...FQK5KgodzTXi3A

when honing keep moving (dont take forever on this, you are not boring the cylinder out you are just scuffing it up to give it the non directional patter that its supposed to have because its probably gone smooth by now) to avoid creating a ring and a directional patter in the cylinder wall, also i hear kerosene works a bit better than oil, if there is carbon ring around the top of the cylinder wall that u can not easily scrape off you may want to go to napa and get a (i cannot think of the correct name for the tool lol) but it secures to the block using the head bolt holes around the cylinder and has a scrapper/cutter with a little handle that u crank to scrape the carbon ring off of the top of the cylinder wall, removing this ring (if you have one) will prevent damage to you new piston ring especially if they are carbon ring rather than chrome molly, but all and all its an easy job just take your time

Last edited by dvs93150; 07-07-2012 at 08:15 AM.

Quick Reply: Engine Rebuild