Topic Sponsor

5.4L headgasket replacement issue?

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2011, 02:51 PM
The One and Only

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Default 5.4L headgasket replacement issue?

Ok, so I have not been on here in months due to the fact that I believed I was selling my truck because I could not afford to fix it. Long story short, I had a "mechanic" fix, what I thought was a head gasket issue. Turns out the head bolts were loose. Anyway, new headgaskets installed and away I go. I start leaking coolant from the intake manifold. I start looking around and I notice that it looks like a piece of the head gasket is sticking out past the head. I went to a different mechanic and he says it looks as if the headgaskets were put on incorrectly. I need some advice from you all on this I have attached a pic and the blue thing you can see in the pic is the gasket. does this look right? I am going to end up spending a ton more money and time fixing this issue if that is in fact the case. any and all input is greatly appreciated.

edit: the pic needs to be rotated 90 degrees.

5.4L headgasket replacement issue?-1314464811123.jpg
Old 08-27-2011, 08:52 PM
The One and Only

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Bump.... Help.
Old 11-10-2011, 08:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

normal
Old 04-26-2018, 07:18 PM
05 5.4l 3v s.crew lariat

Received 628 Likes on 565 Posts

Default Mine are ratcheting so even when oil pressure low they stay put

I was under the assumption that all the old style steel tensioners were ratcheting . So during start up the tension is already set until oil pressure comes up .
Amazon Amazon
If you blow up view on tensioner you can see the teeth of the plunger in the hole above the grenade pin . That hole lets you release the ratchet .
Old 04-27-2018, 06:24 AM
Mark

Received 2,417 Likes on 2,118 Posts

Originally Posted by Ice-Cable
Ok, so I have not been on here in months due to the fact that I believed I was selling my truck because I could not afford to fix it. Long story short, I had a "mechanic" fix, what I thought was a head gasket issue. Turns out the head bolts were loose. Anyway, new headgaskets installed and away I go. I start leaking coolant from the intake manifold. I start looking around and I notice that it looks like a piece of the head gasket is sticking out past the head. I went to a different mechanic and he says it looks as if the headgaskets were put on incorrectly. I need some advice from you all on this I have attached a pic and the blue thing you can see in the pic is the gasket. does this look right? I am going to end up spending a ton more money and time fixing this issue if that is in fact the case. any and all input is greatly appreciated.

edit: the pic needs to be rotated 90 degrees.

Attachment 53750
if it were installed wrong.. why not take it back to the dude that messed it up and have him fix it properly?

Quick Reply: 5.4L headgasket replacement issue?